What Happened In History Year 1540
Historical Events for the Year 1540
- 6th January » King Henry VIII of England marries Anne of Cleves.
- 23rd March » Waltham Abbey Church known as Waltham Abbey is surrendered to King Henry VIII of England; the last religious community to be closed during the Dissolution of the Monasteries.
- 9th July » King Henry VIII of England annuls his marriage to his fourth wife, Anne of Cleves.
- 28th July » Thomas Cromwell is executed at the order of Henry VIII of England on charges of treason. Henry marries his fifth wife, Catherine Howard, on the same day.
- 15th August » Arequipa, Peru, is founded.
- 27th September » The Society of Jesus (the Jesuits) receives its charter from Pope Paul III.
Famous Birthdays in 1540
- 24th January » Edmund Campion, English priest and martyr (d. 1581)
- 28th January » Ludolph van Ceulen, German-Dutch mathematician (d. 1610)
- 9th May » Maharana Pratap, Indian ruler (d. 1597)
- 3rd June » Charles II, Archduke of Austria (d. 1590)
- 11th June » Barnabe Googe, English poet (d. 1594)
- 5th August » Joseph Justus Scaliger, French philologist and historian (d. 1609)
- 5th September » Magnus, Duke of Holstein (d. 1583)
- 1st October » Johann Jakob Grynaeus, Swiss clergyman and theologian (d. 1617)
Famous Deaths in History for 1540
- 27th January » Angela Merici, Italian religious leader and saint (b. 1474)
- 30th March » Matthäus Lang von Wellenburg, German cardinal (b. 1469)
- 22nd May » Francesco Guicciardini, Italian historian and politician (b. 1483)
- 22nd July » John Zápolya, Hungarian king (b. 1487)
- 28th July » Thomas Cromwell, English lawyer and politician, Chancellor of the Exchequer (b. 1495)
- 30th July » Thomas Abel, English priest and martyr (b. 1497)
- 30th July » Robert Barnes (martyr) called Robert Barnes, English martyr and reformer (b. 1495)
- 23rd August » Guillaume Budé, French philosopher and scholar (b. 1467)
- 24th August » Parmigianino, Italian painter (b. 1503)
- 2nd September » Dawit II of Ethiopia (b. 1501)
- 5th October » Helius Eobanus Hessus, German poet (b. 1488)
Historical events for the year 1540 by month