What Happened In History Year 1557
Historical Events for the Year 1557
- 30th April » Mapuche leader Lautaro is killed by Spanish Empire e.g Spanish forces at the Battle of Mataquito in Chile.
- 6th July » Philip II of Spain King Philip II of Spain, consort of Mary I of England Queen Mary I of England, sets out from Dover to war with France, which eventually resulted in the loss of the City of Calais, the last Countries of the United Kingdom English possess
- 10th August » Battle of St. Quentin (1557) named Battle of St. Quentin: Spanish victory over the French in the Italian War of 1521–1526 e.g Habsburg-Valois Wars.
- 9th October » Trujillo, Venezuela e.g Trujillo is founded in Venezuela.
Famous Deaths in History for 1557
- 2nd January » Pontormo, Italian painter (b. 1494)
- 8th January » Albert Alcibiades, Margrave of Brandenburg-Kulmbach (b. 1522)
- 9th April » Mikael Agricola, Finnish clergyman and scholar (b. 1510)
- 21st April » Petrus Apianus, German mathematician and astronomer (b. 1495)
- 11th June » John III of Portugal (b. 1502)
- 16th July » Anne of Cleves (b. 1515)
- 1st August » Olaus Magnus, Swedish archbishop (b. 1490)
- 1st September » Jacques Cartier, French navigator and explorer (b. 1491)
- 13th September » John Cheke, English scholar and politician, Secretary of State (England) called Secretary of State for England (b. 1514)
- 27th September » Emperor Go-Nara of Japan (b. 1497)
- 25th October » William Cavendish (courtier) called William Cavendish, English courtier (b. 1505)
- 13th December » Niccolò Fontana Tartaglia, Italian mathematician and engineer (b. 1499)
Historical events for the year 1557 by month