What Happened In History Year 1558
Historical Events for the Year 1558
- 7th January » France takes Siege of Calais (1558) or Calais, the last continental possession of Kingdom of England called England.
- 24th April » Mary, Queen of Scots, marries the Dauphin of France, Francis II of France called François, at Notre Dame de Paris.
- 13th July » Battle of Gravelines (1558) Battle of Gravelines: In France, Spain Spanish forces led by Count Lamoral, Count of Egmont Lamoral of Egmont defeat the French forces of Marshal Paul de Thermes at Gravelines.
- 9th October » Mérida, Mérida or Mérida is founded in Venezuela.
- 17th October » Poczta Polska, the Polish postal service, Postage stamps and postal history of Poland named is founded.
- 17th November » Elizabethan era begins: Queen Mary I of England dies and is succeeded by her half-sister Elizabeth I of England.
Famous Birthdays in 1558
- 22nd May » Françoise de Cezelli, French soldier (d. 1615)
- 11th July » Robert Greene (dramatist) or Robert Greene, English author and playwright (d. 1592)
- 9th September » Philippe Emmanuel, Duke of Mercœur (d. 1602)
- 12th October » Maximilian III, Archduke of Austria (d. 1618)
- 3rd November » Thomas Kyd, English author and playwright (d. 1594)
Famous Deaths in History for 1558
- 25th February » Eleanor of Austria (b. 1498)
- 24th March » Anna van Egmont, Dutch wife of William the Silent (b. 1533)
- 25th March » Marcos de Niza, French friar and explorer (b. 1495)
- 18th April » Roxelana, Ottoman wife of Suleiman the Magnificent (b. 1500)
- 20th April » Johannes Bugenhagen, German priest and theologian (b. 1485)
- 31st May » Philip Hoby, English general and diplomat (b. 1505)
- 21st June » Piero Strozzi, Italian general (b. 1510)
- 21st September » Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor (b. 1500)
- 18th October » Mary of Hungary (governor of the Netherlands) e.g Mary of Hungary (b. 1505)
- 21st October » Julius Caesar Scaliger, Italian physician and scholar (b. 1484)
- 17th November » Mary I of England (b. 1516)
- 17th November » Reginald Pole, English cardinal (b. 1500)
- 28th December » Hermann Finck, German organist and composer (b. 1527)
Historical events for the year 1558 by month