What Happened In History Year 1570
Historical Events for the Year 1570
- 23rd January » James Stewart, 1st Earl of Moray, regent for the infant King James VI of Scotland, is assassinated by firearm, the first recorded instance of such.
- 25th February » Pope Pius V Excommunication e.g excommunicates Queen Elizabeth I of England.
- 20th May » Cartography or Cartographer Abraham Ortelius issues 'Theatrum Orbis Terrarum', the first modern atlas.
- 10th September » Spanish Society of Jesus known as Jesuit missionaries land in present-day Virginia to establish the short-lived Ajacán Mission.
Famous Birthdays in 1570
- 22nd January » Sir Robert Cotton, 1st Baronet, of Connington, English politician, founded the Cotton library (d. 1631)
- 13th April » Guy Fawkes, English soldier, planned the Gunpowder Plot (d. 1606)
- 22nd May » John II, Duke of Saxe-Weimar (d. 1605)
- 19th August » Salamone Rossi, Italian violinist and composer (d. 1630)
- 4th October » Péter Pázmány, Hungarian cardinal (d. 1637)
- 28th November » James Whitelocke, English judge and politician, Chief Justice of Chester (d. 1632)
Famous Deaths in History for 1570
- 23rd January » James Stewart, 1st Earl of Moray, Scottish son of James V of Scotland (b. 1531)
- 3rd July » Aonio Paleario, Italian academic and reformer (b. 1500)
- 1st October » Frans Floris, Flemish painter (b. 1520)
- 18th October » Manuel da Nóbrega, Portuguese-Brazilian priest and missionary (b. 1517)
- 20th October » João de Barros, Portuguese historian (b. 1496)
- 27th November » Jacopo Sansovino, Italian sculptor and architect (b. 1486)
- 5th December » Johan Friis, Danish politician (b. 1494)
Historical events for the year 1570 by month