What Happened In History Year 1571
Historical Events for the Year 1571
- 11th January » Archduchy of Austria known as Austrian nobility is granted freedom of religion.
- 23rd January » The Royal Exchange (London) known as Royal Exchange opens in London.
- 24th June » Miguel Lopez de Legazpi founds Manila, the capital of the Republic of the Philippines.
- 28th July » La Laguna encomienda, known today as the Laguna (province) e.g Laguna province in the Philippines is founded by the Spaniards as one of the oldest encomienda/province in the country.
- 7th September » Thomas Howard, 4th Duke of Norfolk, is arrested for his role in the Ridolfi plot to assassinate Queen Elizabeth I of England and replace her with Mary, Queen of Scots.
- 7th October » The Battle of Lepanto (1571) known as Battle of Lepanto is fought, and the Holy League (1571) named Holy League (Spain and Italy) annihilates the Turkish fleet.
Famous Birthdays in 1571
- 9th January » Charles Bonaventure de Longueval, Count of Bucquoy, French commander (d. 1621)
- 27th January » Abbas I of Persia, Shah of Persia (d. 1629)
- 15th February » Michael Praetorius, German organist and composer (d. 1621)
- 11th May » Niwa Nagashige, Japanese daimyo (d. 1637)
- 7th August » Thomas Lupo the elder or Thomas Lupo, English viol player and composer (d. 1627)
- 29th September » Caravaggio, Italian painter (d. 1610)
- 9th December » Metius, Dutch mathematician and astronomer (d. 1635)
- 27th December » Johannes Kepler, German mathematician, astronomer, and astrologer (d. 1630)
Famous Deaths in History for 1571
- 3rd January » Joachim II Hector, Elector of Brandenburg (b. 1505)
- 9th January » Nicolas Durand de Villegaignon, French admiral (b. 1510)
- 12th February » Nicholas Throckmorton, English diplomat and politician (b. 1515)
- 13th February » Benvenuto Cellini, Italian painter and sculptor (b. 1500)
- 14th February » Odet de Coligny, French cardinal (b. 1517)
- 6th April » John Hamilton (archbishop of St Andrews) known as John Hamilton, Scottish archbishop (b. 1512)
- 1st June » John Story, English martyr (b. 1504)
- 15th July » Shimazu Takahisa, Japanese daimyo (b. 1514)
- 17th July » Georg Fabricius, German poet and historian (b. 1516)
- 23rd September » John Jewel, English bishop (b. 1522)
Historical events for the year 1571 by month