What Happened In History Year 1600
Historical Events for the Year 1600
- 1st January » Scotland begins its numbered year on January 1 instead of March 25.
- 19th February » The Peruvian stratovolcano Huaynaputina explodes in the most violent eruption in the recorded history of South America.
- 20th March » The Linköping Bloodbath takes place on Maundy Thursday in Linköping, Sweden.
- 5th August » The John Ruthven, 3rd Earl of Gowrie Gowrie conspiracy named Gowrie Conspiracy against James VI and I or King James VI of Scotland (later to become King James I of England) takes place.
- 23rd August » Battle of Gifu Castle: The eastern forces of Tokugawa Ieyasu defeat the western Sengoku period known as Japanese clans loyal to Toyotomi Hideyori, leading to the destruction of Gifu Castle and serving as a prelude to the Battle of Sekigahara.
- 8th October » San Marino adopts its written constitution.
- 21st October » Tokugawa Ieyasu defeats the leaders of rival Japanese clans in the Battle of Sekigahara, which marks the beginning of the Tokugawa shogunate that in effect rules Japan until the mid-nineteenth century.
- 31st December » The British East India Company is chartered.
Famous Birthdays in 1600
- 1st January » Friedrich Spanheim, Dutch theologian (d. 1649)
- 17th January » Pedro Calderón de la Barca, Spanish playwright and poet (d. 1681)
- 28th January » Pope Clement IX (d. 1669)
- 2nd February » Gabriel Naudé, French librarian and scholar (d. 1653)
- 19th November » Charles I of England (d. 1649)
- 19th November » Lieuwe van Aitzema, Dutch historian and diplomat (d. 1669)
Famous Deaths in History for 1600
- 13th February » Gian Paolo Lomazzo, Italian painter (b. 1538)
- 17th February » Giordano Bruno, Italian mathematician, astronomer, and philosopher (b. 1548)
- 29th February » Caspar Hennenberger, German pastor, historian, and cartographer (b. 1529)
- 1st September » Tadeáš Hájek, Czech physician and astronomer (b. 1525)
- 12th October » Luis de Molina, Spanish priest and philosopher (b. 1535)
- 21st October » Toda Katsushige, Japanese daimyo (b. 1557)
- 3rd November » Richard Hooker, English priest and theologian (b. 1554)
- 8th November » Natsuka Masaie, Japanese daimyō (b. 1562)
- 17th November » Kuki Yoshitaka, Japanese commander (b. 1542)
- 30th November » Nanda Bayin, Burmese king (b. 1535)
Historical events for the year 1600 by month