What Happened In History Year 1601
Historical Events for the Year 1601
- 8th February » Robert Devereux, 2nd Earl of Essex, rebels against Queen Elizabeth I the revolt is quickly crushed.
- 3rd August » Long War (Ottoman wars) known as Long War: Habsburg Monarchy known as Austria captures Transylvania in the Battle of Goroszló.
- 18th November » Tiryaki Hasan Pasha, provincial governor of Ottoman Empire, utterly defeats Habsburg forces, commanded by Ferdinand II, Holy Roman Emperor named Ferdinand the Archduke of Austria during the Siege of Nagykanizsa.
Famous Birthdays in 1601
- 8th January » Baltasar Gracián, Spanish priest and author (d. 1658)
- 19th March » Alonzo Cano, Spanish painter, sculptor, and architect (d. 1667)
- 2nd May » Athanasius Kircher, German priest and scholar (d. 1680)
- 27th May » Antoine Daniel, French-Canadian missionary and saint (d. 1648)
- 17th August » Pierre de Fermat, French lawyer and mathematician (d. 1665)
- 22nd August » Georges de Scudéry, French author, poet, and playwright (d. 1667)
- 13th September » Jan Brueghel the Younger, Flemish painter (d. 1678)
- 22nd September » Anne of Austria (d. 1666)
- 27th September » Louis XIII of France (d. 1643)
- 14th November » Jean Eudes, French missionary, founded the Congregation of Jesus and Mary and Sisters of Our Lady of Charity of the Refuge (d. 1680)
Famous Deaths in History for 1601
- 25th February » Robert Devereux, 2nd Earl of Essex, English politician (b. 1566)
- 10th April » Mark Alexander Boyd, Scottish soldier and poet (b. 1562)
- 19th May » Costanzo Porta, Italian composer (b. 1528)
- 9th August » Michael the Brave, Romanian prince (b. 1558)
- 24th October » Tycho Brahe, Danish astronomer and alchemist (b. 1546)
Historical events for the year 1601 by month