What Happened In History Year 1604
Historical Events for the Year 1604
- 24th June » Samuel de Champlain discovers the mouth of the Saint John River (New Brunswick) known as Saint John River, site of Reversing Falls and the present day city of Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada.
- 1st September » Adi Granth, now known as Guru Granth Sahib, the holy scripture of Sikhs, was first installed at Harmandir Sahib.
- 9th October » Supernova 1604, the most recent supernova to be observed in the Milky Way.
Famous Birthdays in 1604
- 5th April » Charles IV, Duke of Lorraine (d. 1675)
- 10th May » Jean Mairet, French playwright (d. 1686)
- 8th July » Heinrich Albert (composer) named Heinrich Albert, German composer and poet (d. 1651)
- 12th August » Tokugawa Iemitsu, Japanese shogun (d. 1651)
- 13th September » Sir William Brereton, 1st Baronet, English commander and politician (d. 1661)
- 3rd November » Osman II, Ottoman sultan (d. 1622)
- 26th November » Johannes Bach, German organist and composer (d. 1673)
Famous Deaths in History for 1604
- 29th February » John Whitgift, English archbishop (b. 1530)
- 4th March » Fausto Paolo Sozzini, Italian theologian (b. 1539)
- 4th May » Claudio Merulo, Italian organist and composer (b. 1533)
- 24th June » Edward de Vere, 17th Earl of Oxford, English courtier (b. 1550)
- 3rd August » Bernardino de Mendoza, Spanish commander and diplomat (b. 1540)
- 8th August » Horio Tadauji, Japanese daimyo (b. 1578)
- 10th September » William Morgan (Bible translator) or William Morgan, Welsh bishop (b. 1545)
- 18th October » Igram van Achelen, Dutch politician (b. 1528)
Historical events for the year 1604 by month