What Happened In History Year 1608
Historical Events for the Year 1608
- 7th January » Fire destroys Jamestown, Virginia.
- 17th January » Emperor of Ethiopia Emperor Susenyos of Ethiopia Susenyos surprises an Oromo people Oromo army at Ebenat; his army reportedly kills 12,000 Oromo at the cost of 400 of his men.
- 18th March » Susenyos of Ethiopia called Susenyos is formally crowned Emperor of Ethiopia.
- 14th May » The Protestant Union is founded in Auhausen.
- 3rd June » Samuel de Champlain completes his third voyage to New France at Tadoussac, Quebec.
- 3rd July » Québec City is founded by Samuel de Champlain.
- 30th July » At Fort Ticonderoga known as Ticonderoga (now Crown Point, New York), Samuel de Champlain shoots and kills two Iroquois chiefs. This was to set the tone for France called French-Iroquois relations for the next one hundred years.
- 24th August » The first official English representative to India lands in Surat.
- 10th September » John Smith (explorer) named John Smith is elected council president of Jamestown, Virginia.
Famous Birthdays in 1608
- 28th January » Giovanni Alfonso Borelli, Italian physiologist and physicist (d. 1679)
- 5th February » Gaspar Schott, German mathematician (d. 1666)
- 6th February » António Vieira, Portuguese philosopher (d. 1697)
- 25th April » Gaston, Duke of Orléans (d. 1660)
- 15th May » René Goupil, French-American missionary (d. 1642)
- 13th July » Ferdinand III, Holy Roman Emperor (d. 1657)
- 14th July » George Goring, Lord Goring, English general (d. 1657)
- 20th September » Jean-Jacques Olier, French priest and mystic, founded the Society of Saint-Sulpice (d. 1657)
- 15th October » Evangelista Torricelli, Italian physicist and mathematician (d. 1647)
- 6th December » George Monck, 1st Duke of Albemarle, English general and politician, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland (d. 1670)
- 9th December » John Milton, English poet and philosopher (d. 1674)
Famous Deaths in History for 1608
- 29th January » Frederick I, Duke of Württemberg (b. 1557)
- 13th February » Konstanty Wasyl Ostrogski, Lithuanian prince (b. 1526)
- 26th February » John Still, English bishop (b. 1543)
- 12th March » Kōriki Kiyonaga, Japanese daimyo (b. 1530)
- 19th April » Thomas Sackville, 1st Earl of Dorset, English politician, Lord High Treasurer (b. 1536)
- 14th May » Charles III, Duke of Lorraine (b. 1543)
- 19th June » Alberico Gentili, Italian jurist (b. 1551)
- 18th July » Joachim III Frederick, Elector of Brandenburg (b. 1546)
- 25th July » Pomponio Nenna, Italian composer (b. 1556)
- 19th October » Martin Delrio, Flemish theologian and author (b. 1551)
Historical events for the year 1608 by month