What Happened In History Year 1609
Historical Events for the Year 1609
- 5th April » 'Daimyo' (Lord) of the Satsuma Domain in southern Kyūshū, Tokugawa Shogunate known as Japan, completes Invasion of Ryukyu called his successful invasion of the Ryūkyū Kingdom in Okinawa.
- 23rd May » Official ratification of the Second Charter of Virginia takes place.
- 6th July » Bohemia is granted freedom of religion.
- 25th July » The England or English ship 'Sea Venture', en route to Colony of Virginia named Virginia, is deliberately driven ashore during a storm at Bermuda to prevent its sinking; the survivors go on to found a new colony there.
- 25th August » Galileo Galilei demonstrates his first telescope to Venice known as Venetian lawmakers.
- 28th August » Henry Hudson discovers Delaware Bay.
- 11th September » Henry Hudson discovers Manhattan Island and the indigenous people living there.
- 12th September » Henry Hudson begins his exploration of the Hudson River while aboard the 'Halve Maen'.
- 13th September » Henry Hudson reaches the river that would later be named after him the Hudson River.
Famous Birthdays in 1609
- 10th February » John Suckling (poet) e.g John Suckling, English poet (d. 1642)
- 18th February » Edward Hyde, 1st Earl of Clarendon, English historian and politician (d. 1674)
- 18th March » Frederick III of Denmark (d. 1670)
- 22nd March » John II Casimir Vasa, Polish son of Constance of Austria (d. 1672)
- 6th August » Richard Bennett (Governor) known as Richard Bennett, English politician, List of colonial governors of Virginia e.g Colonial Governor of Virginia (d. 1675)
- 26th October » William Sprague (1609–1675) or William Sprague, English co-founder of Charlestown, Massachusetts (d. 1675)
- 25th November » Henrietta Maria of France (d. 1669)
- 26th November » Henry Dunster, English-American clergyman and academic (d. 1659)
- 24th December » Philip Warwick, English politician (d. 1683)
Famous Deaths in History for 1609
- 21st January » Joseph Justus Scaliger, French historian and scholar (b. 1540)
- 25th March » Olaus Martini, Swedish archbishop (b. 1557)
- 4th April » Carolus Clusius, Flemish botanist, mycologist, and academic (b. 1526)
- 15th May » Giovanni Croce, Italian composer (b. 1557)
- 22nd May » Pieter Willemsz. Verhoeff, Dutch naval commander (b. c.1573)
- 15th July » Annibale Carracci, Italian painter (b. 1560)
- 1st October » Giammateo Asola, Italian composer (b. 1532)
- 4th December » Alexander Hume, Scottish poet (b. 1560)
Historical events for the year 1609 by month