What Happened In History Year 1610
Historical Events for the Year 1610
- 7th January » Galileo Galilei makes his first observation of the four Galilean moons: Ganymede (moon) Ganymede, Callisto (moon) Callisto, Io (moon) Io and Europa (moon) Europa, although he is not able to distinguish the last two until the following day.
- 14th May » Henry IV of France is assassinated, bringing Louis XIII to the throne.
- 4th July » The Battle of Klushino is fought between forces of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth and Tsardom of Russia or Russia during the Polish-Muscovite War (1605-1618) known as Polish-Muscovite War.
- 5th July » John Guy (governor) known as John Guy sets sail from Bristol with 39 other colonists for Newfoundland (island) called Newfoundland.
- 2nd August » Henry Hudson sails into what is now known as Hudson Bay thinking he had made it through the Northwest Passage and reached the Pacific Ocean.
- 9th August » The Anglo-Powhatan Wars or First Anglo-Powhatan War begins in Colony of Virginia known as colonial Virginia.
- 17th October » French king Louis XIII is crowned in Rheims.
Famous Birthdays in 1610
- 13th January » Archduchess Maria Anna of Austria (1610–1665) named Archduchess Maria Anna of Austria (d. 1665)
- 21st January » Elizabeth Fones, English-American settler (d. 1673)
- 1st April » Charles de Saint-Évremond, French soldier and critic (d. 1703)
- 22nd April » Pope Alexander VIII (d. 1691)
- 18th May » Stefano della Bella, Italian engraver (d. 1664)
- 3rd October » Gabriel Lalemant, French-Canadian missionary and saint (d. 1649)
- 6th October » Charles de Sainte-Maure, duc de Montausier, French soldier (d. 1690)
- 19th October » James Butler, 1st Duke of Ormonde, English-Irish general, academic, and politician, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland (d. 1688)
- 9th December » Baldassare Ferri, Italian singer and actor (d. 1680)
- 12th December » Basil of Ostrog, Serbian monk and saint (d. 1671)
- 18th December » Charles du Fresne, sieur du Cange, French philologist and historian (d. 1688)
Famous Deaths in History for 1610
- 15th April » Robert Persons, English priest (b. 1546)
- 11th May » Matteo Ricci, Italian priest and mathematician (b. 1552)
- 14th May » Henry IV of France (b. 1553)
- 19th May » Thomas Sanchez, Spanish priest and theologian (b. 1550)
- 27th May » François Ravaillac, French assassin of Henry IV of France (b. 1578)
- 18th July » Caravaggio, Italian painter (b. 1573)
- 5th August » Alonso García de Ramón, Spanish soldier and politician, Royal Governor of Chile (b. 1552)
- 14th October » Amago Yoshihisa, Japanese daimyo (b. 1540)
- 2nd November » Richard Bancroft, English archbishop and academic (b. 1544)
- 3rd December » Honda Tadakatsu, Japanese general and daimyo (b. 1548)
- 31st December » Ludolph van Ceulen, German-Dutch mathematician (b. 1540)
Historical events for the year 1610 by month