What Happened In History Year 1636
Historical Events for the Year 1636
- 26th March » Utrecht University is founded in the Netherlands.
- 4th October » The Swedish Army defeats the armies of Saxony and the Holy Roman Empire at the Battle of Wittstock.
- 28th October » A vote of the Great and General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony establishes the first college in what would become the United States, today known as Harvard University.
- 13th December » The Massachusetts Bay Colony organizes three militia regiments to defend the colony against the Pequot people e.g Pequot Native Americans in the United States called Indians. This organization is recognized today as the founding of the National Guard of t
Famous Birthdays in 1636
- 29th April » Esaias Reusner, German lute player and composer (d. 1679)
- 3rd June » John Hale (Beverly minister) e.g John Hale, American minister (d. 1700)
- 29th September » Thomas Tenison, English archbishop (d. 1715)
- 31st October » Ferdinand Maria, Elector of Bavaria (d. 1679)
- 1st November » Nicolas Boileau-Despréaux, French poet and critic (d. 1711)
- 2nd November » Edward Colston, English merchant and politician (d. 1721)
Famous Deaths in History for 1636
- 26th January » Jean Hotman, Marquis de Villers-St-Paul, French diplomat (b. 1552)
- 18th April » Julius Caesar (judge) e.g Julius Caesar, English judge and politician (b. 1557)
- 13th June » George Gordon, 1st Marquess of Huntly, Scottish politician (b. 1562)
- 27th June » Date Masamune, Japanese strongman (b. 1567)
- 11th October » Johann Albrecht Adelgrief, Polish-German man who claimed to be a prophet
- 19th October » Marcin Kazanowski, Polish politician (b. 1566)
- 9th December » Fabian Birkowski, Polish preacher and author (b. 1566)
Historical events for the year 1636 by month