What Happened In History Year 1773
Historical Events for the Year 1773
- 1st January » The hymn that became known as "Amazing Grace", then titled "1 Chronicles 17:16–17" is first used to accompany a sermon led by John Newton in the town of Olney, Buckinghamshire called Olney, England, Great Britain.
- 12th January » The first public Thirteen Colonies e.g Colonial American museum opens in Charleston, South Carolina.
- 17th January » Captain James Cook and his crew become the first Europeans to sail below the Antarctic Circle.
- 10th May » The Parliament of Great Britain passes the Tea Act, designed to save the British East India Company by granting it a monopoly on the North American tea trade.
- 17th June » Cúcuta, Colombia, is discovered by Juana Rangel de Cuéllar.
- 13th October » The Whirlpool Galaxy is discovered by Charles Messier.
- 14th October » The first recorded Ministry (government department) known as Ministry of Education, the Komisja Edukacji Narodowej (Polish for 'Commission of National Education'), is formed in the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth.
Famous Birthdays in 1773
- 9th January » Cassandra Austen, English painter (d. 1845)
- 9th February » William Henry Harrison, American general and politician, 9th President of the United States (d. 1841)
- 16th March » Juan Ramón Balcarce, Argentinian general and politician, 6th Governor of Buenos Aires Province (d. 1836)
- 26th March » Nathaniel Bowditch, American mathematician and navigator (d. 1838)
- 28th March » Henri Gatien Bertrand, French general (d. 1844)
- 6th April » James Mill, Scottish historian, economist, and philosopher (d. 1836)
- 9th April » Étienne Aignan, French author and academic (d. 1824)
- 14th April » Jean-Baptiste de Villèle, French politician, 6th Prime Minister of France (d. 1854)
- 2nd May » Henrik Steffens, Norwegian philosopher and poet (d. 1845)
- 15th May » Klemens von Metternich, German-Austrian politician, 1st List of Ministers-President of Austria known as State Chancellor of the Austrian Empire (d. 1859)
- 19th May » Arthur Aikin, English chemist and mineralogist (d. 1854)
- 29th May » Princess Sophia of Gloucester (d. 1844)
- 31st May » Ludwig Tieck, German poet, author, and critic (d. 1853)
- 2nd June » John Randolph of Roanoke, American planter and politician, 8th United States Ambassador to Russia (d. 1833)
- 13th June » Thomas Young (scientist) known as Thomas Young, English physicist and physiologist (d. 1829)
- 23rd July » Thomas Brisbane, Scottish general and politician, 6th Governor of New South Wales (d. 1860)
- 27th July » Jacob Aall, Norwegian economist and politician (d. 1844)
- 12th August » Karl Faber, Prussian historian and academic (d. 1853)
- 22nd August » Aimé Bonpland, French botanist and explorer (d. 1858)
- 17th September » Jonathan Alder, American captain and farmer (d. 1849)
- 25th September » Agostino Bassi, Italian entomologist and author (d. 1856)
- 6th October » Louis Philippe I, French king (d. 1850)
- 27th December » George Cayley, English engineer and politician (d. 1857)
Famous Deaths in History for 1773
- 4th January » Anton Losenko, Russian painter (b. 1737)
- 21st January » Alexis Piron, French playwright (b. 1689)
- 1st March » Luigi Vanvitelli, Italian architect, designed the Palace of Caserta (b. 1700)
- 13th March » Philibert Commerson, French historian and explorer (b. 1727)
- 24th March » Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield, English politician, Captain of the Yeomen of the Guard (b. 1694)
- 8th May » Ali Bey Al-Kabir, Egyptian sultan (b. 1728)
- 15th May » Alban Butler, English priest and hagiographer (b. 1710)
- 27th June » Mentewab, Ethiopian wife of Bakaffa (b. 1706)
- 5th July » Francisco José Freire, Portuguese historian and philologist (b. 1719)
- 12th July » Johann Joachim Quantz, German flute player and composer (b. 1697)
- 23rd July » George Edwards (naturalist) e.g George Edwards, English biologist and ornithologist (b. 1693)
- 3rd August » Stanisław Konarski, Polish poet and playwright (b. 1700)
- 20th August » Enrique Flórez, Spanish historian and author (b. 1701)
- 24th August » George Lyttelton, 1st Baron Lyttelton, English politician, Chancellor of the Exchequer (b. 1709)
- 27th August » Friedrich Wilhelm von Seydlitz, Prussian general (b. 1721)
- 23rd September » Johan Ernst Gunnerus, Norwegian bishop and botanist (b. 1718)
- 25th October » Johann Georg Estor, German historian and theorist (b. 1699)
- 26th October » Amédée-François Frézier, French mathematician, engineer, and explorer (b. 1682)
- 16th November » John Hawkesworth (book editor) called John Hawkesworth, English journalist and author (b. 1715)
Historical events for the year 1773 by month