What Happened In January 1773 In History
Historical Events for January, 1773
- 1st » The hymn that became known as "Amazing Grace", then titled "1 Chronicles 17:16–17" is first used to accompany a sermon led by John Newton in the town of Olney, Buckinghamshire called Olney, England, Great Britain.
- 12th » The first public Thirteen Colonies e.g Colonial American museum opens in Charleston, South Carolina.
- 17th » Captain James Cook and his crew become the first Europeans to sail below the Antarctic Circle.
Famous Birthdays on January in 1773
- 9th » Cassandra Austen, English painter (d. 1845)
Famous Deaths for January 1773
- 4th » Anton Losenko, Russian painter (b. 1737)
- 21st » Alexis Piron, French playwright (b. 1689)
Year 1773 events in history for the month of January
Historical events for the year 1773 by month