What Happened In History Year 1807
Historical Events for the Year 1807
- 3rd February » A British military force, under Brigadier-General Sir Samuel Auchmuty (British army officer) known as Samuel Auchmuty captures the Spanish Empire city of Montevideo, now the capital of Uruguay.
- 8th February » Battle of Eylau Napoleon I of France or Napoleon defeats Russians under General Levin August, Count von Bennigsen called Bennigsen.
- 19th February » Former Vice President of the United States Aaron Burr is arrested for treason in Wakefield, Alabama and confined to Fort Stoddert.
- 2nd March » The United States Congress known as U.S. Congress passes the Act Prohibiting Importation of Slaves, disallowing the importation of new slavery or slaves into the country.
- 25th March » The Slave Trade Act 1807 known as Slave Trade Act becomes law, abolishing the slave trade in the British Empire.
- 25th March » The Swansea and Mumbles Railway, then known as the Oystermouth Railway, becomes the first passenger carrying railway in the world.
- 18th April » The Harwich ferry disaster occurred near the North Sea port of Harwich on the Essex coast (England) in which 60-90 people drowned during the capsizing of a small ferry boat.
- 22nd May » A grand jury indicts former Vice President of the United States Aaron Burr on a charge of treason.
- 22nd May » Most of the English town of Chudleigh is destroyed by fire.
- 22nd June » In the Chesapeake–Leopard Affair, the British warship HMS Leopard 1790 6 attacks and boards the American frigate USS Chesapeake 1799 6.
- 28th June » Second British invasions of the Río de la Plata or British invasion of the Río de la Plata; John Whitelock lands at Ensenada, Buenos Aires known as Ensenada on an attempt to recapture Buenos Aires and is defeated by the locals.
- 29th June » Russo-Turkish War (1806–1812) or Russo-Turkish War: Admiral Dmitry Senyavin destroys the Ottoman Empire or Ottoman fleet in the Battle of Athos.
- 7th July » Napoleonic Wars: the Treaties of Tilsit named Peace of Tilsit between France, Kingdom of Prussia known as Prussia and Russia ends the War of the Fourth Coalition.
- 9th July » The Treaties of Tilsit are signed by Napoleon I of France and Alexander I of Russia.
- 29th August » British troops under Sir Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington called Arthur Wellesly defeat a Danish militia outside Copenhagen in the Battle of Køge.
- 2nd September » The Royal Navy Battle of Copenhagen (1807) e.g bombards Copenhagen with fire bombs and phosphorus rockets to prevent Denmark from surrendering its fleet to Napoleon.
- 27th November » The Portuguese Royal Family History of Portugal (1777–1834) Napoleonic invasions called leaves Lisbon to escape from Napoleonic troops.
- 17th December » Napoleonic Wars: France issues the Milan Decree, which confirms the Continental System.
- 22nd December » The Embargo Act of 1807 Embargo Act, forbidding trade with all foreign countries, is passed by the United States Congress U.S. Congress, at the urging of President of the United States President Thomas Jefferson.
Historical events for the year 1807 by month