What Happened In History Year 1816
Historical Events for the Year 1816
- 9th January » Sir Humphry Davy tests Davy lamp named his safety lamp for miners at Hebburn Colliery.
- 12th February » The Teatro di San Carlo, the oldest working opera house in Europe, is destroyed by fire.
- 10th March » Crossing of the Andes: A group of royalist scouts is captured during the Action of Juncalito.
- 10th April » The Federal government of the United States approves the creation of the Second Bank of the United States.
- 14th April » Bussa, a slave in British-ruled Barbados, leads a slave rebellion and is killed. For this, he is remembered as the first national hero of Barbados.
- 2nd May » Marriage of Leopold I of Belgium called Léopold of Saxe-Coburg and Princess Charlotte Augusta of Wales.
- 22nd May » A mob in Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England, Ely and Littleport riots of 1816 named riots over high unemployment and rising grain costs; the rioting spreads to Ely, Cambridgeshire named Ely the next day.
- 16th June » Lord Byron reads 'Fantasmagoriana' to his four house guests at the Villa Diodati, Percy Shelley, Mary Shelley, Claire Clairmont, and John Polidori, and inspires his challenge that each guest write a ghost story, which culminated in Mary Shelley writing th
- 9th July » Argentina Argentine Declaration of Independence named declares independence from Spain.
- 14th August » The United Kingdom formally annexed the Tristan da Cunha archipelago, administering them from the British Cape Colony called Cape Colony in South Africa.
- 24th August » The Treaty of St. Louis 1816 - Ottawa, Ojibwa, and Potawatomi named Treaty of St. Louis is signed in St. Louis, Missouri.
- 5th September » Louis XVIII of France e.g Louis XVIII has to dissolve the Chambre introuvable ("Unobtainable Chamber").
- 15th September » HMS Whiting 1812 6 runs aground on the Doom Bar
- 21st October » The Penang Free School is founded in George Town, Penang, Malaysia, by the Rev Hutchings. It is the oldest English-language school in Southeast Asia.
- 19th November » Warsaw University is established.
- 11th December » Indiana becomes the 19th U.S. state.
- 30th December » The Treaty of St. Louis 1816 - Ottawa, Ojibwa, and Potawatomi Treaty of St. Louis (1816) between the United States and the united Odawa people Ottawa, Ojibwe people Ojibwa, and Potawatomi Indian tribes is proclaimed.
Historical events for the year 1816 by month