What Happened In History Year 1824
Historical Events for the Year 1824
- 22nd January » The Ashantis defeat British forces in the Gold Coast (British colony) e.g Gold Coast.
- 5th March » First Anglo-Burmese War: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland known as British officially declare war on Burma.
- 11th March » The United States Department of War creates the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- 10th May » The National Gallery, London known as National Gallery in London opens to the public.
- 21st June » Greek War of Independence: Egyptian forces capture Psara in the Aegean Sea.
- 25th July » Costa Rica annexes Guanacaste Province or Guanacaste from Nicaragua.
- 4th August » The Battle of Kos is fought between Ottoman Empire named Turkish and Greece called Greek forces.
- 5th August » Greek War of Independence: Constantine Kanaris leads a Greek fleet to victory against Ottoman and Egyptian ships in the Battle of Samos (1824) named Battle of Samos.
- 6th August » Battle of Junin Peru.
- 15th August » The Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette or Marquis de Lafayette, the last surviving French general of the American Revolutionary War, arrives in New York and begins a Visit of the Marquis de Lafayette to the United States or tour of 24 states.
- 4th October » Mexico adopts a 1824 Constitution of Mexico e.g new constitution and becomes a federal republic.
- 9th October » Slavery is abolished in Costa Rica.
- 21st October » Joseph Aspdin patents Portland cement.
- 30th November » Ground is broken at Allanburg, Ontario, for the building of the first Welland Canal.
- 1st December » United States presidential election, 1824: Since no candidate received a majority of the total Electoral College (United States) called electoral college votes in the election, the United States House of Representatives is given the task of deciding the w
- 9th December » Patriot forces led by General Antonio José de Sucre defeat a Royalist army in the Battle of Ayacucho, putting an end to the Peruvian War of Independence.
- 28th December » The Bathurst War comes to an end with the surrender of the Wiradjuri.
Historical events for the year 1824 by month