What Happened In History Year 1857
Historical Events for the Year 1857
- 9th January » The 1857 Fort Tejon earthquake known as Fort Tejon earthquake strikes California, registering an estimated magnitude of 7.9.
- 24th January » The University of Calcutta is formally founded as the first fully-fledged university in South Asia.
- 3rd March » Second Opium War: France and the United Kingdom declare war on China.
- 6th March » The Supreme Court of the United States rules in the 'Dred Scott v. Sandford' case.
- 21st March » An earthquake in Tokyo, Japan kills over 100,000.
- 18th April » "The Spirits Book" by Allan Kardec is published, marking the birth of Spiritualism in France.
- 6th May » The British East India Company disbands the 34th Regiment of Bengal Regiment or Bengal Native Infantry whose sepoy Mangal Pandey had earlier revolted against the British and is considered to be the First Martyr in the War of Independence of 1857 or War of
- 10th May » Indian Rebellion of 1857: In India, the first war of Independence begins. Sepoys mutiny against their commanding officers at Meerut.
- 11th May » Indian Rebellion of 1857: Indian rebels seize Delhi from the British.
- 26th May » Dred Scott is emancipated by the Blow family, his original owners.
- 6th June » Sophia of Nassau marries the future King Oscar II of Sweden known as Oscar II of Sweden–Norway.
- 26th June » The first investiture of the Victoria Cross in Hyde Park, London known as Hyde Park, London.
- 24th August » The Panic of 1857 begins, setting off one of the most severe economic crises in United States history.