What Happened In History Year 1858
Historical Events for the Year 1858
- 9th January » Anson Jones, the last President of the Republic of Texas, commits suicide.
- 14th January » Napoleon III of France escapes an assassination attempt.
- 30th January » The first Hallé concert is given in Manchester, England, marking the official founding of The Hallé orchestra as a full-time, professional orchestra.
- 10th April » After the original Big Ben, a Convert 14.5 tonne lb bell for the Palace of Westminster had cracked during testing, it is recast into the current convert 13.76 tonne lb bell by Whitechapel Bell Foundry.
- 16th April » The Wernerian Natural History Society, a former Scotland known as Scottish learned society, is wound up.
- 11th May » Minnesota is admitted as the 32nd U.S. State.
- 15th May » Opening of the present Royal Opera House in Covent Garden, London.
- 16th June » The Battle of Morar takes place during the Indian Mutiny.
- 29th July » United States and Japan sign the Treaty of Amity and Commerce (United States–Japan) known as Harris Treaty.
- 5th August » Cyrus West Field and others complete the first transatlantic telegraph cable after several unsuccessful attempts. It will operate for less than a month.
- 7th August » The first Australian rules football match is played between Melbourne Grammar and Scotch College.
- 11th August » The Eiger in the Bernese Alps is ascended for the first time by Charles Barrington (mountaineer) named Charles Barrington accompanied by Christian Almer and Peter Bohren.
- 16th August » U.S. President James Buchanan inaugurates the new transatlantic telegraph cable by exchanging greetings with Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom. However, a weak signal forces a shutdown of the service in a few weeks.
- 24th August » In Richmond, Virginia, 90 blacks are arrested for learning. - needs to be explained/expanded-->
- 10th September » George Mary Searle discovers the asteroid 55 Pandora.
- 17th November » Modified Julian day named Julian Day zero.
- 22nd November » Denver known as Denver, Colorado, is founded.
Historical events for the year 1858 by month