What Happened In History Year 1875
Historical Events for the Year 1875
- 24th February » The SS known as Gothenburg hits the Great Barrier Reef and sinks off the Australian east coast, killing approximately 100, including a number of high profile civil servants and dignitaries.
- 3rd March » The first indoor ice hockey game or first ever organized indoor game of ice hockey is played in Montreal, Canada as recorded in 'The Montreal Gazette'.
- 15th March » Archbishop of New York John McCloskey is named the first cardinal (Catholicism) e.g cardinal in the United States.
- 1st May » Alexandra Palace reopens after being burned down in a fire in 1873.
- 17th May » Aristides (horse) called Aristides wins the first Kentucky Derby.
- 20th May » Signing of the Metre Convention by 17 nations leading to the establishment of the International System of Units.
- 19th June » The Herzegovina Uprising (1875–77) e.g Herzegovinian rebellion against the Ottoman Empire begins.
- 9th July » Outbreak of the Herzegovina Uprising (1875–78) e.g Herzegovina Uprising against Ottoman Empire known as Ottoman rule, which would last until 1878 and have far-reaching implications throughout the Balkans.
- 22nd August » The Treaty of Saint Petersburg (1875) called Treaty of Saint Petersburg between Japan and Russia is ratified, providing for the exchange of Sakhalin for the Kuril Islands.
- 24th August » Captain Matthew Webb became first person to swim the English Channel
- 25th August » Captain Matthew Webb became the first person to swim across the English Channel, traveling from Dover, England, to Calais, France, in 22 hours.
- 3rd September » The first official game of polo is played in Argentina after being introduced by British ranchers.
- 27th September » The merchant sailing ship 'Ellen Southard' is wrecked in a storm at Liverpool; the United States Congress subsequently awards 27 gold Lifesaving Medals to the lifeboat men who went to rescue her crew.
- 16th October » Brigham Young University is founded in Provo, Utah called Provo, Utah.
- 22nd October » First telegraphic connection in Argentina.
- 4th December » Notorious New York City politician Boss Tweed escapes from prison. He will later be recaptured in Spain.
Historical events for the year 1875 by month