What Happened In History Year 1884
Historical Events for the Year 1884
- 4th January » The Fabian Society is founded in London e.g London, England, United Kingdom.
- 1st February » The first volume ('A' to 'Ant') of the 'Oxford English Dictionary' is published.
- 19th February » More than Enigma tornado outbreak named sixty tornadoes strike the Southern United States, one of the largest tornado outbreaks in U.S. history.
- 13th March » The Siege of Khartoum, Sudan begins, ending on January 26, 1885.
- 27th March » A mob in Cincinnati, Ohio, attacks members of a jury who had returned a verdict of manslaughter in a clear case of murder, and then over the next few days would Cincinnati riots of 1884 named riot and destroy the courthouse.
- 20th April » Pope Leo XIII publishes the encyclical 'Humanum Genus'.
- 1st May » Proclamation of the demand for Eight-hour day or eight-hour workday in the United States.
- 1st May » Moses Fleetwood Walker becomes the first black person to play in a professional baseball game in the United States.
- 20th May » Dinuzulu kaCetshwayo becomes the king of the Zulu Nation.
- 31st May » The arrival at Plymouth of Tāwhiao, King of Māori people called Maoris, to claim the protection of Queen Victoria
- 3rd July » Dow Jones and Company publishes its first stock average.
- 5th July » German Empire named Germany takes possession of Kamerun named Cameroon.
- 6th October » The Naval War College of the United States Navy is founded in Newport, Rhode Island.
- 13th October » Greenwich, in London, England, is established as Universal Time meridian of longitude.
- 14th October » The American inventor, George Eastman, receives a U.S. Government patent on his new paper-strip photographic film.
- 6th December » The Washington Monument in Washington, D.C., is completed.
Historical events for the year 1884 by month