What Happened In May 1884 In History
Historical Events for May, 1884
- 1st » Proclamation of the demand for Eight-hour day or eight-hour workday in the United States.
- 1st » Moses Fleetwood Walker becomes the first black person to play in a professional baseball game in the United States.
- 20th » Dinuzulu kaCetshwayo becomes the king of the Zulu Nation.
- 31st » The arrival at Plymouth of Tāwhiao, King of Māori people called Maoris, to claim the protection of Queen Victoria
Famous Birthdays on May in 1884
- 1st » Francis Curzon, 5th Earl Howe, English politician, commander, and race car driver (d. 1964)
- 5th » Chief Bender, American baseball player (d. 1954)
- 8th » Harry S. Truman, American colonel and politician, 33rd President of the United States (d. 1972)
- 9th » Valdemar Psilander, Danish actor (d. 1917)
- 19th » David Munson, American runner (d. 1953)
- 21st » Manuel Pérez y Curis, Uruguayan poet (d. 1920)
- 23rd » Corrado Gini, Italian sociologist and demographer (d. 1965)
- 27th » Max Brod, Czech journalist, author, and composer (d. 1968)
- 28th » Edvard Beneš, Czech politician, 2nd List of Presidents of Czechoslovakia called President of Czechoslovakia (d. 1948)
Famous Deaths for May 1884
- 12th » Bedřich Smetana, Czech composer (b. 1824)
- 13th » Cyrus McCormick, American businessman, co-founded the International Harvester e.g International Harvester Company (b. 1809)
Year 1884 events in history for the month of May
Historical events for the year 1884 by month