What Happened In History Year 1886
Historical Events for the Year 1886
- 29th January » Karl Benz patents the first successful gasoline-driven automobile.
- 23rd February » Charles Martin Hall produced the first samples of man-made aluminum, after several years of intensive work. He was assisted in this project by his older sister Julia Brainerd Hall.
- 1st March » The Anglo-Chinese School, Singapore is founded by Bishop William Fitzjames Oldham e.g William Oldham.
- 27th March » Famous Apache warrior, Geronimo, surrenders to the U.S. Army, ending the main phase of the Apache Wars.
- 29th March » Dr. John Pemberton brews the first batch of Coca-Cola in a backyard in Atlanta, Georgia.
- 8th April » William Ewart Gladstone introduces the first Irish Government Bill 1886 named Irish Home Rule Bill into the House of Commons of the United Kingdom named British House of Commons.
- 4th May » Haymarket affair: A bomb is thrown at policemen trying to break up a Labor movement e.g labor rally in Chicago, Illinois, United States, killing eight and wounding 60. The police fire into the crowd.
- 5th May » The Bay View Tragedy: A militia fires into a crowd of protesters in Milwaukee, killing seven.
- 8th May » Pharmacist John Pemberton first sells a Carbonation known as carbonated beverage named "Coca-Cola" as a patent medicine.
- 29th May » The pharmacist John Pemberton places his first advertising e.g advertisement for Coca-Cola, which appeared in 'The Atlanta Journal-Constitution e.g The Atlanta Journal'.
- 2nd June » The President of the United States or U.S. President Grover Cleveland marries Frances Folsom in the White House, becoming the only president to wed in the executive mansion.
- 10th June » Mount Tarawera in New Zealand erupts, killing 153 people and destroying the famous Pink and White Terraces.
- 13th June » Great Vancouver Fire named A fire devastates much of Vancouver, British Columbia.
- 13th June » King Ludwig II of Bavaria is found dead in Lake Starnberg south of Munich at 11:30 PM.
- 26th June » Henri Moissan isolated elemental Fluorine for the first time.
- 30th June » The first transcontinental train trip across Canada departs from Montreal. It arrives in Port Moody, British Columbia on July 4.
- 3rd July » Karl Benz officially unveils the Benz Patent Motorwagen the first purpose-built automobile.
- 3rd July » The 'New York Tribune' becomes the first newspaper to use a linotype machine, eliminating typesetting by hand.
- 4th July » The people of France offer the Statue of Liberty to the people of the United States.
- 4th July » The first scheduled Canadian transcontinental train arrives in Port Moody, British Columbia.
- 31st August » An Charleston earthquake e.g earthquake kills 100 in Charleston, South Carolina.
- 4th September » American Indian Wars: After almost 30 years of fighting, Apache leader Geronimo, with his remaining warriors, surrenders to General Nelson Miles in Arizona.
- 9th September » The Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works is finalized.
- 28th October » In New York Harbor, President Grover Cleveland dedicates the Statue of Liberty.
- 29th October » The first ticker-tape parade takes place in New York City when office workers spontaneously throw ticker tape into the streets as the Statue of Liberty is dedicated.
- 1st November » Ananda College, a leading Buddhist school in Sri Lanka is established with 37 students.
- 30th November » The Folies Bergère stages its first revue.
Historical events for the year 1886 by month