What Happened In History Year 1887
Historical Events for the Year 1887
- 20th January » The United States Senate allows the United States Navy named Navy to lease Pearl Harbor as a naval base.
- 21st January » Convert 465 mm in of rain falls in Brisbane, a record for any Australian capital city.
- 2nd February » In Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania the first Groundhog Day is observed.
- 8th February » The Dawes Act authorizes the President of the United States to survey Native Americans in the United States named Native American tribal land and divide it into individual allotments.
- 23rd February » The French Riviera is hit by a large earthquake, killing around 2,000.
- 1st April » Mumbai Fire Brigade is established.
- 4th April » Argonia, Kansas elects Susanna M. Salter as the first female mayor in the United States.
- 10th April » On Easter e.g Easter Sunday, Pope Leo XIII authorizes the establishment of The Catholic University of America.
- 28th April » A week after being arrested by the Prussian Secret Police, Alsace e.g Alsatian police inspector Guillaume Schnaebelé is released on order of German Emperor William I, German Emperor called William I, defusing a possible war.
- 18th June » The Reinsurance Treaty between Germany and Russia is signed.
- 20th June » Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus called Victoria Terminus, the busiest railway station in India, opens in Mumbai or Bombay.
- 4th July » The founder of Pakistan, Jinnah e.g Quaid-i-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah, joins Sindh-Madrasa-tul-Islam, Karachi.
- 6th July » David Kalākaua, monarch of the Kingdom of Hawaii, is forced at gunpoint by Americans to sign the Bayonet Constitution giving Americans more power in Hawaii while stripping native Hawaiians or Hawaiian citizens of their rights.
- 26th July » Publication of the 'Unua Libro', founding the Esperanto movement.
- 5th September » A fire at Theatre Royal in Exeter, England kills 186.
- 1st October » Balochistan is conquered by the British Empire.
- 9th November » The United States receives rights to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
- 11th November » Anarchist Haymarket Riot called Haymarket Martyrs August Spies, Albert Parsons, Adolph Fischer and George Engel are Execution (legal) known as executed.
- 11th November » Construction of the Manchester Ship Canal begins at Eastham, Merseyside e.g Eastham.
- 13th November » Bloody Sunday (1887) known as Bloody Sunday clashes in central London.
Historical events for the year 1887 by month