What Happened In History Year 1888
Historical Events for the Year 1888
- 3rd January » The refracting telescope at the Lick Observatory, measuring 91 cm in diameter, is used for the first time. It was the largest telescope in the world at the time.
- 27th January » The National Geographic Society is founded in Washington, D.C.
- 11th March » The Great Blizzard of 1888 begins along the eastern seaboard of the United States, shutting down commerce and killing more than 400.
- 15th March » Start of the Sikkim Expedition or Anglo-Tibetan War of 1888.
- 20th March » The premiere of the very first Romen Theatre Forerunners of Romen Theatre e.g Romani language operetta is staged in Moscow, Russia.
- 3rd April » The first of eleven Whitechapel murders or unsolved brutal murders of women committed in or near the impoverished Whitechapel district in the East End of London, occurs.
- 6th April » Thomas Green Clemson dies, bequeathing his estate to the State of South Carolina to establish Clemson University e.g Clemson Agricultural College.
- 11th April » The Concertgebouw in Amsterdam is inaugurated.
- 13th May » With the passage of the 'Lei Áurea' ("Golden Law"), Brazil abolishes slavery.
- 16th May » Nikola Tesla delivers a lecture describing the equipment which will allow efficient generation and use of alternating currents to electric power transmission or transmit electric power over long distances.
- 3rd June » The poem "Casey at the Bat", by Ernest Lawrence Thayer, is published in the 'San Francisco Examiner'.
- 5th June » The 1888 Río de la Plata earthquake named Rio de la Plata Earthquake takes place.
- 15th June » Crown Prince William II, German Emperor Wilhelm becomes Kaiser Wilhelm II; he will be the last Emperor of the German Empire. Due to the death of his predecessors William I, German Emperor Wilhelm I and Frederick III, German Emperor Frederick III, 1888 is
- 15th July » The stratovolcano Mount Bandai 1888 eruption of Mount Bandai e.g erupts killing approximately 500 people, in Fukushima Prefecture, Japan.
- 5th August » Bertha Benz drives from Mannheim to Pforzheim and back in the first long distance automobile trip, commemorated as the Bertha Benz Memorial Route since 2008.
- 21st August » The first successful adding machine in the United States is patented by William Seward Burroughs I or William Seward Burroughs.
- 4th September » George Eastman registers the trademark 'Kodak' and receives a patent for his camera that uses roll film.
- 6th September » Charles Turner (cricketer) called Charles Turner becomes the first bowler (cricket) known as bowler to take 250 wickets in an English season. This feat has since been accomplished by Tom Richardson (twice), J. T. Hearne, Wilfred Rhodes (twice) and Tich F
- 8th September » In England the first six Football League matches are played.
- 22nd September » The first issue of 'National Geographic Magazine' is published.
- 30th September » Jack the Ripper kills his third and fourth victims, Elizabeth Stride and Catherine Eddowes.
- 9th October » The Washington Monument officially opens to the general public.
- 14th October » Louis Le Prince films first motion picture: 'Roundhay Garden Scene'.
- 15th October » The From Hell letter known as "From Hell" letter sent by Jack the Ripper is received by investigators.
- 17th October » Thomas Edison files a patent for the Optical Phonograph (the first movie).
- 21st October » Foundation of the Social Democratic Party of Switzerland named Swiss Social Democratic Party.
- 29th October » The Convention of Constantinople is signed, guaranteeing free maritime passage through the Suez Canal during war and peace.
- 30th October » Rudd Concession granted by King Lobengula of Matabeleland to agents of Cecil Rhodes led by Charles Rudd.
- 9th November » Mary Jane Kelly is murdered in London, widely believed to be the fifth and final victim of the notorious unidentified serial killer Jack the Ripper.
- 9th December » Statistician Herman Hollerith installs his computing device at the United States War Department.
- 18th December » Richard Wetherill and his brother in-law discover the ancient Indian ruins of Cliff Palace in Mesa Verde National Park e.g Mesa Verde.
Historical events for the year 1888 by month