What Happened In September 1888 In History
Historical Events for September, 1888
- 4th » George Eastman registers the trademark 'Kodak' and receives a patent for his camera that uses roll film.
- 6th » Charles Turner (cricketer) called Charles Turner becomes the first bowler (cricket) known as bowler to take 250 wickets in an English season. This feat has since been accomplished by Tom Richardson (twice), J. T. Hearne, Wilfred Rhodes (twice) and Tich F
- 8th » In England the first six Football League matches are played.
- 22nd » The first issue of 'National Geographic Magazine' is published.
- 30th » Jack the Ripper kills his third and fourth victims, Elizabeth Stride and Catherine Eddowes.
Famous Birthdays on September in 1888
- 1st » Andrija Štampar, Croatian physician and scholar (d. 1958)
- 5th » Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, Indian philosopher and politician, 2nd President of India (d. 1975)
- 6th » Joseph P. Kennedy, Sr., American businessman and diplomat, 44th United States Ambassador to the United Kingdom (d. 1969)
- 10th » Israel Abramofsky, Russian-American painter (d. 1976)
- 12th » Maurice Chevalier, French actor, singer, and dancer (d. 1972)
- 15th » Antonio Ascari, Italian race car driver (d. 1925)
- 16th » Frans Eemil Sillanpää, Finnish author, Nobel Prize in Literature named Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1964)
- 18th » Grey Owl, English-Canadian environmentalist and author (d. 1938)
- 18th » Toni Wolff, Swiss psychologist and author (d. 1953)
- 19th » James Waddell Alexander II, American mathematician and topologist (d. 1971)
- 19th » Porter Hall, American actor (d. 1953)
- 25th » Hanna Ralph, German actress (d. 1978)
- 26th » J. Frank Dobie, American journalist and author (d. 1964)
- 26th » T. S. Eliot, American-English publisher, playwright, and critic, Nobel Prize in Literature or Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965)
Famous Deaths for September 1888
- 8th » Annie Chapman, English victim of Jack the Ripper (b. 1841)
- 11th » Domingo Faustino Sarmiento, Argentinian journalist and politician, 7th President of Argentina (b. 1811)
- 30th » Catherine Eddowes, English victim of Jack the Ripper (b. 1842)
- 30th » Elizabeth Stride, Swedish victim of Jack the Ripper (b. 1843)
Year 1888 events in history for the month of September
Historical events for the year 1888 by month