What Happened In History Year 1889
Historical Events for the Year 1889
- 4th January » The Oklahoma Land Run opens 2 million acres of unused Oklahoma Territory to first serve first come settlers on April 22.
- 15th January » The Coca-Cola Company, then known as the Pemberton Medicine Company, is Incorporation (business) or incorporated in Atlanta or Atlanta, Georgia.
- 22nd January » Columbia Phonograph is formed in Washington, D.C.
- 30th January » Archduke Crown Prince Rudolf of Austria, heir to the Austria-Hungary called Austro-Hungarian crown, is found dead with his mistress Baroness Mary Vetsera in the Mayerling Incident named Mayerling.
- 9th February » President Grover Cleveland signs a bill elevating the United States Department of Agriculture to a United States Cabinet e.g Cabinet-level agency.
- 11th February » Meiji Constitution of Japan is adopted; the first National Diet convenes in 1890.
- 22nd February » United States President Grover Cleveland signs a bill admitting North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana and Washington (state) called Washington as U.S. states.
- 23rd March » The Ahmadiyya Muslim Community is established by Mirza Ghulam Ahmad in Qadian, India.
- 28th March » The Yngsjö murder in Yngsjö, Sweden: Anna Månsdotter is arrested along with her son.
- 31st March » The Eiffel Tower is officially opened.
- 22nd April » At high noon, thousands rush to claim land in the Land Rush of 1889. Within hours the cities of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma called Oklahoma City and Guthrie, Oklahoma called Guthrie are formed with populations of at least 10,000.
- 2nd May » Menelik II, Emperor of Ethiopia, signs a treaty of amity with Italy, giving Italy control over Eritrea.
- 6th May » The Eiffel Tower is officially opened to the public at the Exposition Universelle (1889) known as Universal Exposition in Paris.
- 11th May » An Wham Paymaster Robbery called attack upon a U.S. Army paymaster and escort results in the theft of over $28,000 and the award of two Medal of Honor named Medals of Honor.
- 31st May » Johnstown Flood: Over 2,200 people die after a dam fails and sends a 60-foot (18-meter) wall of water over the town of Johnstown, Pennsylvania.
- 3rd June » The transcontinental Canadian Pacific Railway is completed.
- 3rd June » The first long-distance electric power transmission line in the United States is completed, running convert 14 mi km between a generator at Willamette River Willamette Falls and downtown Portland, Oregon.
- 6th June » The Great Seattle Fire destroys all of downtown Seattle.
- 12th June » Eighty are killed in the Armagh rail disaster near Armagh in what is now Northern Ireland.
- 26th June » Bangui is founded by Albert Dolisie and Alfred Uzac in what was then the upper reaches of the French Congo.
- 29th June » Hyde Park Township, Cook County, Illinois e.g Hyde Park and several other Illinois townships vote to be annexed by Chicago, forming the largest United States city in area and second largest in population.
- 8th July » The first issue of 'The Wall Street Journal' is published.
- 11th July » Tijuana, Mexico, is founded.
- 23rd September » 'Nintendo' Koppai (Later 'Nintendo' Company, Limited) is founded by Fusajiro Yamauchi to produce and market the playing card game Hanafuda.
- 28th September » The first General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM) defines the length of a meter as the distance between two lines on a standard bar of an alloy of platinum with ten percent iridium, measured at the melting point of ice.
- 2nd October » In Colorado, Nicholas C. Creede known as Nicholas Creede strikes it rich in silver during the last great silver boom of the American Old West.
- 6th October » American inventor Thomas Edison shows his first film e.g motion picture.
- 2nd November » North Dakota e.g North and South Dakota are admitted as the 39th and 40th U.S. states.
- 8th November » Montana is admitted as the 41st U.S. state.
- 11th November » The State of Washington (state) e.g Washington is admitted as the 42nd U.S. state e.g state of the United States.
- 14th November » Pioneering female journalist Nellie Bly (aka Elizabeth Cochrane) begins a successful attempt to travel around the world in less than 80 days. She completes the trip in seventy-two days.
- 15th November » Brazil is declared a republic by Marshal (Brazil) Marshal Deodoro da Fonseca as Emperor Pedro II of Brazil Pedro II is Decline and fall of Pedro II of Brazil deposed in a military coup.
- 23rd November » The first jukebox goes into operation at the Palais Royale Saloon in San Francisco.
Historical events for the year 1889 by month