What Happened In November 1889 In History
Historical Events for November, 1889
- 2nd » North Dakota e.g North and South Dakota are admitted as the 39th and 40th U.S. states.
- 8th » Montana is admitted as the 41st U.S. state.
- 11th » The State of Washington (state) e.g Washington is admitted as the 42nd U.S. state e.g state of the United States.
- 14th » Pioneering female journalist Nellie Bly (aka Elizabeth Cochrane) begins a successful attempt to travel around the world in less than 80 days. She completes the trip in seventy-two days.
- 15th » Brazil is declared a republic by Marshal (Brazil) Marshal Deodoro da Fonseca as Emperor Pedro II of Brazil Pedro II is Decline and fall of Pedro II of Brazil deposed in a military coup.
- 23rd » The first jukebox goes into operation at the Palais Royale Saloon in San Francisco.
Famous Birthdays on November in 1889
- 1st » Hannah Höch, German painter and photographer (d. 1978)
- 1st » Philip Noel-Baker, Baron Noel-Baker, English academic and politician, Secretary of State for Commonwealth Relations, Nobel Peace Prize named Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1982)
- 5th » Andrejs Kapmals, Latvian runner (d. 1994)
- 10th » Claude Rains, English-American actor (d. 1967)
- 14th » Jawaharlal Nehru, Indian lawyer and politician, 1st Prime Minister of India (d. 1964)
- 16th » George S. Kaufman, American director, producer, and playwright (d. 1961)
- 16th » Dietrich Kraiß, German general (d. 1944)
- 18th » Stanislav Kosior, Polish-Russian politician (d. 1939)
- 19th » Clifton Webb, American actor, singer, and dancer (d. 1966)
- 20th » Edwin Hubble, American astronomer and cosmologist (d. 1953)
- 23rd » Harry Sunderland, Australian-English journalist and businessman (d. 1964)
- 26th » Albert Dieudonné, French actor, director, and screenwriter (d. 1976)
- 30th » Edgar Adrian, 1st Baron Adrian, English physiologist and academic, Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine or Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1977)
- 30th » Reuvein Margolies, Ukrainian-Israeli author and scholar (d. 1971)
Famous Deaths for November 1889
- 18th » William Allingham, Irish-English poet and scholar (b. 1824)
Year 1889 events in history for the month of November
Historical events for the year 1889 by month