What Happened In January 1889 In History
Historical Events for January, 1889
- 4th » The Oklahoma Land Run opens 2 million acres of unused Oklahoma Territory to first serve first come settlers on April 22.
- 15th » The Coca-Cola Company, then known as the Pemberton Medicine Company, is Incorporation (business) or incorporated in Atlanta or Atlanta, Georgia.
- 22nd » Columbia Phonograph is formed in Washington, D.C.
- 30th » Archduke Crown Prince Rudolf of Austria, heir to the Austria-Hungary called Austro-Hungarian crown, is found dead with his mistress Baroness Mary Vetsera in the Mayerling Incident named Mayerling.
Famous Birthdays on January in 1889
- 1st » Charles Bickford, American actor (d. 1967)
- 2nd » Bertram Stevens (politician) or Bertram Stevens, Australian politician, 25th Premier of New South Wales (d. 1973)
- 4th » M. Patanjali Sastri, Indian jurist, 2nd Chief Justice of India
- 9th » Vrindavan Lal Verma, Indian author and playwright (d. 1969)
- 10th » Maurice Collis, Irish author (d. 1973)
- 11th » Calvin Bridges, American geneticist (d. 1938)
- 12th » Mirza Basheer-ud-Din Mahmood Ahmad, Indian-Pakistani spiritual leader (d. 1965)
- 19th » Sophie Taeuber-Arp, Swiss painter and sculptor (d. 1943)
- 20th » Allan Haines Loughead, American engineer and businessman, founded the Alco Hydro-Aeroplane Company (d. 1969)
- 22nd » Henri Pélissier, French cyclist (d. 1935)
- 22nd » Amos Strunk, American baseball player (d. 1979)
- 24th » Charles Hawes, American author (d. 1923)
- 30th » Jaishankar Prasad, Indian poet and playwright (d. 1937)
- 31st » Frank Foster (cricketer) or Frank Foster, English cricketer (d. 1958)
Famous Deaths for January 1889
- 13th » Solomon Bundy, American politician (b. 1823)
- 14th » Ema Pukšec, Croatian soprano (b. 1834)
- 30th » Rudolf, Crown Prince of Austria (b. 1858)
Year 1889 events in history for the month of January
Historical events for the year 1889 by month