What Happened In May 1889 In History
Historical Events for May, 1889
- 2nd » Menelik II, Emperor of Ethiopia, signs a treaty of amity with Italy, giving Italy control over Eritrea.
- 6th » The Eiffel Tower is officially opened to the public at the Exposition Universelle (1889) known as Universal Exposition in Paris.
- 11th » An Wham Paymaster Robbery called attack upon a U.S. Army paymaster and escort results in the theft of over $28,000 and the award of two Medal of Honor named Medals of Honor.
- 31st » Johnstown Flood: Over 2,200 people die after a dam fails and sends a 60-foot (18-meter) wall of water over the town of Johnstown, Pennsylvania.
Famous Birthdays on May in 1889
- 2nd » Ki Hajar Dewantara, Indonesian educator (d. 1959)
- 4th » Francis Spellman, American cardinal (d. 1967)
- 5th » Herbie Taylor, South African cricketer (d. 1973)
- 7th » Viktor Puskar, Estonian colonel (d. 1943)
- 10th » Mae Murray, American actress, dancer, producer, and screenwriter (d. 1965)
- 12th » Yvonne de Bray, French actress (d. 1954)
- 12th » Otto Frank, German-Swiss businessman (d. 1980)
- 17th » Dorothy Gibson, American actress and singer (d. 1946)
- 18th » Thomas Midgley, Jr., American chemist and engineer (d. 1944)
- 19th » Tản Đà, Vietnamese poet (d. 1939)
- 19th » Henry B. Richardson, American archer (d. 1963)
- 20th » Karin Molander, Swedish actress (d. 1978)
- 22nd » Hugh Miller (actor) known as Hugh Miller, English actor (d. 1976)
- 23rd » Ernst Niekisch, German politician (d. 1967)
- 25th » Günther Lütjens, German admiral (d. 1941)
- 25th » Igor Sikorsky, Russian-American aircraft designer, founded Sikorsky Aircraft (d. 1972)
- 28th » Richard Réti, Slovak-Czech chess player (d. 1929)
Famous Deaths for May 1889
- 9th » William S. Harney, American general (b. 1800)
- 10th » Mikhail Saltykov-Shchedrin, Russian journalist (b. 1826)
- 11th » John Cadbury, English businessman and philanthropist, founded the Cadbury known as Cadbury Company (b. 1801)
- 14th » Volney Howard, American lawyer and politician (b. 1809)
- 18th » Isabella Glyn, Scottish-English actress (b. 1823)
Year 1889 events in history for the month of May
Historical events for the year 1889 by month