What Happened In June 1889 In History
Historical Events for June, 1889
- 3rd » The transcontinental Canadian Pacific Railway is completed.
- 3rd » The first long-distance electric power transmission line in the United States is completed, running convert 14 mi km between a generator at Willamette River Willamette Falls and downtown Portland, Oregon.
- 6th » The Great Seattle Fire destroys all of downtown Seattle.
- 12th » Eighty are killed in the Armagh rail disaster near Armagh in what is now Northern Ireland.
- 26th » Bangui is founded by Albert Dolisie and Alfred Uzac in what was then the upper reaches of the French Congo.
- 29th » Hyde Park Township, Cook County, Illinois e.g Hyde Park and several other Illinois townships vote to be annexed by Chicago, forming the largest United States city in area and second largest in population.
Famous Birthdays on June in 1889
- 1st » James Daugherty, American author, illustrator, and painter (d. 1974)
- 1st » Charles Kay Ogden, English linguist and philosopher (d. 1957)
- 10th » Sessue Hayakawa, Japanese actor and producer (d. 1973)
- 11th » Hugo Wieslander, Swedish decathlete (d. 1976)
- 20th » John S. Paraskevopoulos, Greek-South African astronomer and academic (d. 1951)
- 21st » Ralph Craig, American sprinter (d. 1972)
- 22nd » Ossian Skiöld, Swedish hammer thrower (d. 1961)
- 23rd » Anna Akhmatova, Ukrainian-Russian poet and author (d. 1966)
- 29th » Willie Macfarlane, Scottish golfer (d. 1961)
Famous Deaths for June 1889
- 8th » Gerard Manley Hopkins, English priest and poet (b. 1844)
- 9th » Mike Burke (shortstop) called Mike Burke, American baseball player (b. 1854)
- 10th » Abraham Hochmuth, Hungarian rabbi (b. 1816)
- 15th » Mihai Eminescu, Romanian journalist, author, and poet (b. 1850)
- 28th » Maria Mitchell, American astronomer and academic (b. 1818)
Year 1889 events in history for the month of June
Historical events for the year 1889 by month