What Happened On 5th August 1888 In History
August 5th (1888) was a Sunday. It's the 217th day of the year (218th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 148 days left to the end of the year.
Historical Events for 5th August, 1888
- » Bertha Benz drives from Mannheim to Pforzheim and back in the first long distance automobile trip, commemorated as the Bertha Benz Memorial Route since 2008.
Famous Birthdays on August 5 in 1888
- » Victor Francen, Belgian-French actor (d. 1977)
August 5th Famous Deaths for 1888
- » Anna Haining Bates, Canadian giant (b. 1846)
August 5th Holidays in History
- » Bhagat Puran Singh known as Barsi Bhagat Puran Singh (Sikhism)
- » Christian Calendar of saints known as Feast Day:
- » Abel of Reims
- » Thaddeus of Edessa or Addai
- » Saint Afra known as Afra
- » Albrecht Dürer, Matthias Grünewald, and Lucas Cranach the Elder (Episcopal Church (USA))
- » Cassian of Autun
- » Dedication of the Basilica of St Mary Major (Catholic Church)
- » Emygdius
- » Saint Memmius called Memnius
- » Oswald of Northumbria
- » August 5 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- » List of national independence days known as Independence Day, celebrates the independence of Burkina Faso from France in 1960.
Year 1888 historical events for the month of August