What Happened In History Year 1893
Historical Events for the Year 1893
- 6th January » The Washington National Cathedral is chartered by United States Congress or Congress. The charter is signed by President of the United States or President Benjamin Harrison.
- 13th January » The Independent Labour Party of the United Kingdom holds its first meeting.
- 13th January » United States Marine Corps U.S. Marines land in Honolulu Honolulu, Hawaii from the USS Boston 1884 6 to prevent the queen from abrogating the 1887 Constitution of the Kingdom of Hawaii Bayonet Constitution.
- 21st January » The Tati Concessions Land, formerly part of Matabeleland, is formally annexed to the Bechuanaland Protectorate, now Botswana.
- 28th February » The USS Indiana BB-1 6, the lead ship of Indiana-class battleship her class and the first battleship in the United States Navy comparable to foreign battleships of the time, is launched.
- 1st March » Electrical engineer Nikola Tesla gives the first public demonstration of radio in St. Louis, Missouri.
- 1st April » The rank of Chief Petty Officer United States or Chief Petty Officer in the United States Navy is established.
- 6th April » Salt Lake Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is dedicated by Wilford Woodruff.
- 10th May » The Supreme Court of the United States rules in 'Nix v. Hedden' that a tomato is a vegetable, not a fruit, under the Tariff of 1883 named Tariff Act of 1883.
- 7th June » Mohandas Gandhi commits his first act of civil disobedience.
- 20th June » Lizzie Borden is acquitted of the murders of her father and stepmother.
- 11th July » The first cultured pearl is obtained by Mikimoto Kōkichi or Kokichi Mikimoto.
- 11th July » A revolution led by the liberal general and politician, José Santos Zelaya, takes over state power in Nicaragua.
- 25th July » The Corinth Canal in the Gulf of Corinth, Greece is used for the first time.
- 14th August » France becomes the first country to introduce vehicle registration plate e.g motor vehicle registration.
- 15th August » Ibadan area becomes a British Protectorate after a treaty signed by Fijabi, the Olubadan named Baale of Ibadan with the British acting Governor of Lagos Colony called Lagos, George C. Denton.
- 7th September » The Genoa C.F.C. known as Genoa Cricket & Athletic Club, to become one of the oldest Italian association football named football clubs, is established by British expats.
- 16th September » Settlers make a Land Run of 1893 or land run for prime land in the Cherokee Outlet named Cherokee Strip in Oklahoma.
- 20th September » Charles Duryea and his brother road-test the first American-made gasoline-powered automobile.
- 12th November » The treaty of the Durand Line is signed between present day Pakistan and Afghanistan; the Durand Line has gained international recognition as an international border between the two nations.
- 28th November » New Zealand becomes the first country in which women vote in a national election.
- 29th November » The Ziqiang Institute, today known as Wuhan University, is founded by Zhang Zhidong, governor of Hubei and Hunan Provinces in late Qing Dynasty China, after his memorial to the throne is approved by the Qing Government.
- 4th December » First Matabele War: A patrol of 34 British South Africa Company soldiers is Shangani Patrol e.g ambushed and annihilated by more than 3,000 Northern Ndebele people named Matabele warriors on the Shangani River in Matabeleland.
- 20th December » The end of one of the most dramatic Test Matches of all time. In the first to involve six days of play, England became the first team to win one after following on at Sydney.
- 23rd December » The opera 'Hansel and Gretel (opera) or Hansel and Gretel' by Engelbert Humperdinck is first performed.
Historical events for the year 1893 by month