What Happened In History Year 1894
Historical Events for the Year 1894
- 1st January » The Manchester Ship Canal, is officially opened to traffic.
- 7th January » William Kennedy Dickson receives a patent for film called motion picture film.
- 9th January » New England Telephone and Telegraph Company named New England Telephone and Telegraph installs the first battery (electricity) named battery-operated telephone switchboard in Lexington, Massachusetts.
- 12th February » Anarchism named Anarchist Émile Henry (anarchist) or Émile Henry hurls a bomb into the Cafe Terminus in Paris, France, killing one and wounding 20.
- 12th March » Coca-Cola is bottled and sold for the first time in Vicksburg, Mississippi, by local soda fountain operator Joseph Biedenharn.
- 22nd March » The first playoff game for the Stanley Cup starts.
- 14th April » The first ever commercial film e.g motion picture house opened in New York City using ten Kinetoscopes, a device for peep-show viewing of films.
- 21st April » Norway formally adopts the Krag-Jørgensen bolt-action rifle as the main arm of its armed forces, a weapon that would remain in service for almost 50 years.
- 11th May » Pullman Strike: Four thousand Pullman Palace Car Company workers go on a Wildcat strike action named wildcat strike in Illinois.
- 21st May » The Manchester Ship Canal in the United Kingdom is officially opened by Queen Victoria, who later knights its designer Edward Leader Williams named Sir Edward Leader Williams.
- 23rd June » The International Olympic Committee is founded at the University of Paris known as Sorbonne in Paris, at the initiative of Baron Pierre de Coubertin.
- 24th June » Marie Francois Sadi Carnot is assassinated by Sante Geronimo Caserio.
- 28th June » Labor Day becomes an official US holiday.
- 4th July » The short-lived Republic of Hawaii is proclaimed by Sanford B. Dole.
- 25th July » The First Sino-Japanese War begins when the Japanese fire upon a Chinese warship.
- 1st August » The First Sino-Japanese War erupts between Empire of Japan e.g Japan and Qing Dynasty called China over Korea.
- 25th August » Kitasato Shibasaburō discovers the infectious agent of the bubonic plague and publishes his findings in 'The Lancet'.
- 1st September » Over 400 people die in the Great Hinckley Fire, a forest fire in Hinckley, Minnesota.
- 15th September » First Sino-Japanese War: Empire of Japan named Japan defeats Qing dynasty China in the Battle of Pyongyang.
- 17th September » Battle of Yalu River (1894) or Battle of Yalu River, the largest naval engagement of the First Sino-Japanese War.
- 15th October » The Dreyfus affair: Alfred Dreyfus is arrested for spying.
- 30th October » Domenico Melegatti obtains a patent for a procedure to be applied in producing pandoro industrially.
- 1st November » Nicholas II of Russia Nicholas II becomes the new (and last) Tsar of Russian Empire Russia after his father, Alexander III of Russia Alexander III, dies.
- 21st November » Lüshunkou Port Arthur, Manchuria, Battle of Lushunkou falls to the Japanese, a decisive victory of the First Sino-Japanese War, after which Japanese troops are accused of the Port Arthur massacre (China) massacre of the remaining inhabitants of the city.
- 22nd December » The Dreyfus affair begins in France, when Alfred Dreyfus is wrongly convicted of treason.
Historical events for the year 1894 by month