What Happened In April 1909 In History
Historical Events for April, 1909
- 6th » Robert Edwin Peary called Robert Peary and Matthew Henson reach the North Pole.
- 9th » The Congress of the United States named U.S. Congress passes the Payne–Aldrich Tariff Act.
- 11th » The city of Tel Aviv is founded.
- 13th » The Ottoman Empire or Turkish military 31 March Incident e.g reverses the Ottoman countercoup of 1909 to force the overthrow of Sultan Abdul Hamid II.
- 14th » Adana massacre or A massacre is organized by Ottoman Empire against Armenian population of Cilicia.
- 18th » Joan of Arc is beatified in Rome.
- 27th » Sultan of Ottoman Empire Abdul Hamid II is overthrown, and is succeeded by his brother, Mehmed V.
Famous Birthdays on April in 1909
- 1st » Abner Biberman, American actor, director, and screenwriter (d. 1977)
- 1st » Eddy Duchin, American pianist and bandleader (d. 1951)
- 5th » Albert R. Broccoli, American film producer, co-founded Eon Productions (d. 1996)
- 6th » William M. Branham, American minister (d. 1965)
- 6th » Hermann Lang, German race car driver (d. 1987)
- 7th » Robert Charroux, French author (d. 1978)
- 8th » John Fante, American author (d. 1983)
- 13th » Stanislaw Ulam, Ukrainian-American mathematician (d. 1984)
- 13th » Eudora Welty, American author (d. 2001)
- 17th » Alain Poher, French politician, President of France (d. 1996)
- 22nd » Rita Levi-Montalcini, Italian neurologist, Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine or Nobel Prize laureate (d. 2012)
- 22nd » Indro Montanelli, Italian journalist and historian (d. 2001)
- 25th » William Pereira, American architect, designed the Transamerica Pyramid (d. 1985)
- 28th » Arthur Võõbus, Estonian-American theologist and orientalist (d. 1988)
- 29th » Tom Ewell, American actor (d. 1994)
- 30th » F. E. McWilliam, Irish sculptor (d. 1992)
- 30th » Juliana of the Netherlands (d. 2004)
Famous Deaths for April 1909
- 9th » Helena Modjeska, Polish-American actress (b. 1840)
- 10th » Algernon Charles Swinburne, English author, poet, playwright, and critic (b. 1837)
- 13th » Whitley Stokes, Irish-English lawyer and scholar (b. 1830)
Year 1909 events in history for the month of April
Historical events for the year 1909 by month