What Happened In June 2000 In History
Historical Events for June, 2000
- 5th » The Six-Day War (2000) named Six-Day War in Kisangani begins in Kisangani, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, between Ugandan and Rwandan forces. A large part of the city is destroyed.
- 7th » The United Nations defines the Blue Line (Lebanon) called Blue Line as the border between Israel and Lebanon.
- 13th » President Kim Dae Jung of South Korea meets Kim Jong-il, leader of North Korea, for the beginning of the first ever inter-Korea summit, in the northern capital of Pyongyang.
- 13th » Italy pardons Mehmet Ali Agca, the Turkish gunman who tried to kill Pope John Paul II in 1981.
- 16th » Israel complies with United Nations Security Council Resolution 425 22 years after its issuance, which calls on Israel to completely withdraw from Lebanon. Israel does so, except the disputed Shebaa farms.
- 26th » Bill Clinton or President Clinton announces the completion of the first survey of the entire human genome.
- 26th » John Paul II revealed the Three Secrets of Fátima named third secret of Fátima.
Famous Birthdays on June in 2000
- 1st » Willow Shields, American actress
Famous Deaths for June 2000
- 2nd » Svyatoslav Fyodorov, Russian ophthalmologist, academic, and politician (b. 1927)
- 2nd » Lepo Sumera, Estonian composer and educator (b. 1950)
- 2nd » Gerald James Whitrow, English mathematician, cosmologist, and historian (b. 1912)
- 5th » Don Liddle, American baseball player (b. 1925)
- 6th » Frédéric Dard, French author (b. 1921)
- 8th » Jeff MacNelly, American cartoonist (b. 1948)
- 9th » John Abramovic, American basketball player (b. 1919)
- 9th » Jacob Lawrence, American painter (b. 1917)
- 10th » Hafez al-Assad, Syrian general and politician, 18th President of Syria (b. 1930)
- 10th » Brian Statham, English cricketer (b. 1930)
- 12th » Purushottam Laxman Deshpande, Indian actor, director, and producer (b. 1919)
- 12th » Sandro Rosa do Nascimento, Brazilian criminal (b. 1978)
- 14th » Attilio Bertolucci, Italian poet (b. 1911)
- 15th » James Montgomery Boice, American pastor and theologian (b. 1938)
- 15th » Jules Roy, French author (b. 1907)
- 16th » Empress Kōjun of Japan (b. 1903)
- 17th » Ismail Mahomed, South African lawyer and jurist, 17th Chief Justice of South Africa (b. 1931)
- 18th » Nancy Marchand, American actress (b. 1928)
- 21st » Alan Hovhaness, Armenian-American pianist and composer (b. 1911)
- 23rd » Peter Dubovský, Slovak footballer (b. 1972)
- 23rd » Peter L. Pond, American clergyman, activist, and philanthropist (b. 1933)
- 24th » Rodrigo (musician) e.g Rodrigo, Argentinian singer-songwriter (b. 1973)
- 24th » Vera Atkins, Romanian-English intelligence officer (b. 1908)
- 24th » David Tomlinson, English actor and singer (b. 1917)
- 26th » Logan Ramsey, American actor (b. 1921)
- 27th » Molly Bish, American murder victim (b. 1983)
- 27th » Pierre Pflimlin, French politician, Prime Minister of France (b. 1907)
- 28th » Jane Birdwood, Baroness Birdwood, Canadian-English politician (b. 1913)
- 28th » Nils Poppe, Swedish actor, director, and screenwriter (b. 1908)
- 29th » Vittorio Gassman, Italian actor and director (b. 1922)
- 30th » Robert L. Manahan, American voice actor (b. 1956)
Year 2000 events in history for the month of June
Historical events for the year 2000 by month