What Happened On 8th March 1949 In History
March 8th (1949) was a Tuesday. It's the 67th day of the year (68th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 298 days left to the end of the year.
Historical Events for 8th March, 1949
- » Mildred Gillars ("Axis Sally") is condemned to prison for treason.
- » President of France Vincent Auriol and ex-emperor Bảo Đại sign the Élysée Accords, giving Vietnam greater independence from France and creating the State of Vietnam to oppose Viet Minh-led North Vietnam or Democratic Republic of Vietnam.
Famous Birthdays on March 8 in 1949
- » Natalia Kuchinskaya, Russian gymnast
- » Karel Lismont, Belgian runner
- » Antonello Venditti, Italian singer-songwriter
March 8th Holidays in History
- » Christian Feast Day:
- » John of God
- » Philemon the actor
- » Geoffrey Studdert Kennedy, Edward King (bishop of Lincoln) named Edward King, Felix of Burgundy (Church of England)
- » Earliest day on which Canberra Day can fall, while March 14 is the latest; celebrated on the second Monday in March (Australian Capital Territory)
- » Earliest day on which Commonwealth Day can fall, while March 14 is the latest; celebrated on the second Monday in March (Commonwealth of Nations)
- » Earliest day on which Passion Sunday can fall, while April 17 is the latest; observed on the fifth Sunday of Lent (Christianity)
Year 1949 historical events for the month of March