What Happened On 15th September 1978 In History
September 15th (1978) was a Friday. It's the 257th day of the year (258th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 108 days left to the end of the year.
Historical Events for 15th September, 1978
- » Muhammad Ali outpointed Leon Spinks in a rematch to become the first boxer to win the world heavyweight title three times at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome e.g Superdome in New Orleans.
Famous Birthdays on September 15 in 1978
- » Zach Filkins, American guitarist (OneRepublic)
- » Eiður Guðjohnsen, Icelandic footballer
September 15th Famous Deaths for 1978
- » Robert Cliche, Canadian lawyer, judge, and politician (b. 1921)
- » Willy Messerschmitt, German aircraft designer, designed the Messerschmitt Bf 109 (b. 1898)
September 15th Holidays in History
- » Battle of Britain Battle of Britain Day or Battle of Britain Day (United Kingdom)
- » Christian Calendar of saints called feast day:
- » Catherine of Genoa
- » James Chisholm (priest) known as James Chisholm (Episcopal Church (USA))
- » Joseph Abibos
- » Saint Nicomedes known as Nicomedes
- » Our Lady of Sorrows
- » September 15 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- » "Public holidays in Mexico e.g Cry of Dolores" or 'Grito de Dolores', celebrated on the eve of the Mexican War of Independence known as Independence Day (Mexico).
- » Earliest day on which German-American Steuben Parade can fall, while September 21 is the latest; celebrated on the third Saturday in September. (United States, especially New York City)
- » Earliest day on which National POW/MIA Recognition Day called POW/MIA Recognition Day can fall, while September 21 is the latest; celebrated on the third Friday in September. (United States)
- » Earliest day on which 'Prinsjesdag' can fall, while September 21 is the latest; celebrated on the third Tuesday in September. (Netherlands)
- » Earliest day on which Respect for the Aged Day can fall, while September 21 is the latest; celebrated on the third Monday in September. (Japan)
- » Free Money Day
- » Independence Day, celebrates the independence of Guatemala (a Días Patrios (Guatemala) e.g Patriotic Day), El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica from Spain in 1821.
- » International Day of Democracy (International observance named International)
- » Public holidays in Azerbaijan Other observances called Knowledge Day (Azerbaijan)
- » Public holidays in Slovenia known as Restoration of Primorska to the Motherland Day (Slovenia)
- » Silpa Bhirasri or Silpa Bhirasri Day (Thailand).
- » The beginning of National Hispanic Heritage Month, celebrated until October 15 (United States)