What Happened On 15th August 1999 In History
August 15th (1999) was a Sunday. It's the 227th day of the year (228th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 138 days left to the end of the year.
Historical Events for 15th August, 1999
- » Béni Ounif called Beni Ounif massacre in Algeria: Some 29 people are killed at a false roadblock near the Moroccan border, leading to temporary tensions with Morocco.
August 15th Famous Deaths for 1999
- » Hugh Casson, English architect and interior designer (b. 1910)
August 15th Holidays in History
- » Armed Forces Day (Poland)
- » Christian Calendar of saints called Feast Day:
- » Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, one of the Catholic Church Catholic Holy day of obligation holy days of obligation. (a public holiday in List of holidays by country Austria Austria, Public holidays in Belgium Belgium, Public holidays in Benin Benin,
- » Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos (Eastern Orthodox Church e.g Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodoxy or Oriental Orthodox and Eastern Catholic Churches)
- » Virgin of Candelaria, patron of the Canary Islands. (Tenerife, Spain)
- » Stanislaus Kostka
- » Tarcisius
- » August 15 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- » Ferragosto (Italy)
- » National Acadian Day (Acadians)
- » Navy Day Romania or Navy Day (Romania)
- » Constitution Day (Equatorial Guinea)
- » Earliest day on which Hartjesdag e.g Day of Hearts can fall, while August 21 is the latest; celebrated on the third Monday in August. (area around Haarlem and Amsterdam)
- » Public holidays in Paraguay e.g Founding of Asunción (Paraguay)
- » Gwangbokjeol e.g Independence Day, celebrates the independence of Korea from Japan in 1945:
- » Gwangbokjeol, "Independence Day" (South Korea)
- » Gwangbokjeol or Jogukhaebangui nal, "Fatherland Liberation Day" (North Korea)
- » Public holidays in the Republic of the Congo known as Independence Day, celebrates the independence of the Republic of the Congo from France in 1960.
- » Independence Day (India) known as Independence Day of India, celebrates the independence of India from the United Kingdom in 1947.
- » National Memorial Service for War Dead (Japan)
- » The first day of Flooding of the Nile, or 'Wafaa El-Nil' (Egypt and Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria or Coptic Church)
- » The main day of Bon Festival (Japan)
Year 1999 historical events for the month of August