What Happened In History Year 1777
Historical Events for the Year 1777
- 2nd January » American Revolutionary War: United States or American forces under the command of George Washington repulsed a Kingdom of Great Britain named British attack at the Battle of the Assunpink Creek near Trenton, New Jersey.
- 3rd January » United States American General (United States) General George Washington defeats Kingdom of Great Britain British General (United Kingdom) General Charles Cornwallis, 1st Marquess Cornwallis Lord Cornwallis at the Battle of Princeton.
- 12th January » Mission Santa Clara de Asís is founded in what is now Santa Clara, California.
- 15th January » American Revolutionary War: Vermont Republic known as New Connecticut (present day Vermont) declares its independence.
- 8th March » Regiments from Germans in the American Revolution Ansbach-Bayreuth e.g Ansbach and Bayreuth, sent to support Great Britain in the American Revolutionary War, mutiny in the town of Ochsenfurt.
- 13th April » American Revolutionary War: American forces are ambushed and defeated in the Battle of Bound Brook, New Jersey.
- 27th April » American Revolutionary War: The Battle of Ridgefield: A Great Britain called British invasion force engages and defeats Continental Army regulars and militia irregulars at Ridgefield, Connecticut.
- 13th June » American Revolutionary War: Marquis de Lafayette lands near Charleston, South Carolina, in order to help the Continental Congress to train its army.
- 14th June » The Flag of the United States called Stars and Stripes is adopted by Congress as the Flag of the United States.
- 2nd July » Vermont becomes the first United States named American territory to abolish slavery.
- 6th July » American Revolutionary War: Siege of Fort Ticonderoga (1777) called Siege of Fort Ticonderoga: After a bombardment by British artillery under General John Burgoyne, United States known as American forces retreat from Fort Ticonderoga, New York.
- 7th July » American Revolutionary War: American forces retreating from Fort Ticonderoga are defeated in the Battle of Hubbardton.
- 31st July » The U.S. Second Continental Congress passes a resolution that the services of Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette known as Gilbert du Motier "be accepted, and that, in consideration of his zeal, illustrious family and connexions, he have the rank and
- 6th August » American Revolutionary War: The bloody Battle of Oriskany prevents American relief of the Siege of Fort Stanwix.
- 16th August » American Revolutionary War: The Americans led by General John Stark rout British and Duchy of Brunswick called Brunswick troops under Friedrich Baum at the Battle of Bennington in Walloomsac, New York.
- 22nd August » American Revolutionary War: British forces abandon the Siege of Fort Stanwix after hearing rumors of Continental Army reinforcements.
- 11th September » American Revolutionary War: Battle of Brandywine: The British celebrate a major victory in Chester County, Pennsylvania.
- 19th September » American Revolutionary War: British forces win a tactically expensive victory over the Continental Army in the Battles of Saratoga called First Battle of Saratoga.
- 26th September » American Revolution: British troops Philadelphia campaign known as occupy Philadelphia.
- 27th September » Lancaster, Pennsylvania is the capital of the United States, for one day.
- 4th October » Battle of Germantown: Troops under George Washington are repelled by British troops under Sir William Howe, 5th Viscount Howe known as William Howe.
- 6th October » American Revolutionary War: General Henry Clinton (American War of Independence) called Sir Henry Clinton leads British forces in the capture of Continental Army Hudson River defenses in the Battle of Forts Clinton and Montgomery.
- 7th October » American Revolutionary War: The Americans defeat the Kingdom of Great Britain or British in the Second Battle of Saratoga, also known as the Battle of Bemis Heights.
- 17th October » American Revolutionary War: British General John Burgoyne surrenders his army Saratoga campaign called at Saratoga, New York.
- 22nd October » American Revolutionary War: American defenders of Fort Mercer on the Delaware River repulse repeated Hessian (soldiers) named Hessian attacks in the Battle of Red Bank.
- 15th November » American Revolutionary War: After 16 months of debate the Continental Congress approves the Articles of Confederation.
- 17th November » Articles of Confederation (United States) are submitted to the states for ratification.
- 29th November » San Jose, California, is founded as 'Pueblo de San José de Guadalupe'. It is the first civilian settlement, or 'pueblo', in Alta California.
- 17th December » American Revolution: France formally recognizes the United States.
- 18th December » The United States celebrates its first Thanksgiving, marking the recent victory by the Americans over British General John Burgoyne in the Battles of Saratoga known as Battle of Saratoga in October.
- 24th December » Kiritimati, also called Christmas Island, is discovered by James Cook.
Historical events for the year 1777 by month