What Happened In History Year 1778
Historical Events for the Year 1778
- 5th February » South Carolina becomes the second state to ratify the Articles of Confederation.
- 6th February » American Revolutionary War: In Paris the Treaty of Alliance (1778) e.g Treaty of Alliance and the Treaty of Amity and Commerce (United States–France) named Treaty of Amity and Commerce are signed by the United States and France signaling official recognit
- 14th February » The United States Flag is formally recognized by a foreign naval vessel for the first time, when French Admiral Toussaint-Guillaume Picquet de la Motte renders a nine gun salute to USS Ranger 1777 6, commanded by John Paul Jones.
- 23rd February » American Revolutionary War: Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben called Baron von Steuben arrives at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania to help to train the Continental Army.
- 1st May » American Revolution: The Battle of Crooked Billet begins in Hatboro, Pennsylvania.
- 18th June » American Revolutionary War: Kingdom of Great Britain called British troops abandon Philadelphia e.g Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- 28th June » The Continental Army or American Continentals engage the British in the Battle of Monmouth Courthouse resulting in standstill and British withdrawal under cover of darkness.
- 3rd July » American Revolutionary War: British forces kill 360 people in the Wyoming Valley massacre.
- 4th July » American Revolutionary War: American forces under George Rogers Clark named George Clark capture Kaskaskia, Illinois or Kaskaskia during the Illinois campaign.
- 10th July » American Revolution: Louis XVI of France declares war on the Kingdom of Great Britain.
- 27th July » American Revolution: Battle of Ushant (1778) First Battle of Ushant Kingdom of Great Britain British and France French fleets fight to a standoff.
- 21st August » American Revolutionary War: British forces Siege of Pondicherry (1778) known as begin besieging the French outpost at Puducherry known as Pondichéry.
- 26th August » The first recorded ascent of Triglav, the highest mountain in Slovenia.
- 29th August » American Revolutionary War: British and American forces battle indecisively at the Battle of Rhode Island.
- 17th September » The Treaty of Fort Pitt (1778) e.g Treaty of Fort Pitt is signed. It is the first formal treaty between the United States and a Native Americans in the United States named Native American tribe (the Lenape or Delaware Indians).
- 19th September » The Continental Congress passes the first United States federal budget.
- 3rd October » Captain James Cook anchors in Alaska.
- 11th November » Cherry Valley Massacre: Loyalist (American Revolution) called Loyalists and Seneca nation named Seneca Indian forces attack a fort and village in eastern New York during the American Revolutionary War, killing more than forty civilians and soldiers.
- 26th November » In the Hawaiian Islands, Captain James Cook becomes the first European to visit Maui (island) e.g Maui.
- 15th December » American Revolutionary War: Kingdom of Great Britain called British and France known as French fleets clash in the Battle of St. Lucia.
- 29th December » American Revolutionary War: 3,000 Kingdom of Great Britain British soldiers under the command of Lieutenant colonel (United Kingdom) Lieutenant Colonel Archibald Campbell (British Army officer) Archibald Campbell Capture of Savannah capture Savannah, Geor
Historical events for the year 1778 by month