What Happened On 11th November 1778 In History
November 11th (1778) was a Wednesday. It's the 314th day of the year (315th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 51 days left to the end of the year.
Historical Events for 11th November, 1778
- » Cherry Valley Massacre: Loyalist (American Revolution) called Loyalists and Seneca nation named Seneca Indian forces attack a fort and village in eastern New York during the American Revolutionary War, killing more than forty civilians and soldiers.
November 11th Holidays in History
- » Public holidays in Bhutan known as Birthday of King Jigme Singye Wangchuck (Bhutan)
- » Christian Feast Day:
- » Bartholomew of Grottaferrata (Roman Catholic Church)
- » Martin of Tours (Roman Catholic Church)
- » Saint Menas e.g Menas
- » Søren Kierkegaard (Lutheran Church)
- » Theodore the Studite
- » November 11 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- » End of World War I related observances:
- » Armistice Day (New Zealand, France, Belgium and Serbia)
- » Remembrance Day (United Kingdom and the Commonwealth of Nations, including Australia and Canada)
- » Veterans Day (United States) or Veterans Day, called Armistice Day until 1954, when the holiday was rededicated to be in honor of American military, naval, and Air Force, veterans. (United States)
- » Independence Day, celebrates the independence of Angola from Portugal in 1975.
- » Public holidays in Colombia called Independence of Cartagena (Colombia)
- » Lāčplēsis Lāčplēsis Day called Lāčplēsis Day, celebrates the victory over the Bermontians at the battle of Riga in 1919. (Latvia)
- » Opening of carnival ("Karneval"/"Fasching"), on 11-11, at 11:11. (Germany, the Netherlands, and other countries)
- » Pocky e.g Pocky Day and Pretz e.g Pretz Day (Japan)
- » Pepero Day (South Korea)
- » Republic Day (Maldives)