What Happened In History Year 1779
Historical Events for the Year 1779
- 11th January » Ching-Thang Khomba is crowned List of Meitei kings named King of Manipur.
- 14th February » American Revolutionary War: the Battle of Kettle Creek is fought in Georgia (U.S. state) or Georgia.
- 14th February » James Cook is killed by Native Hawaiians near Kealakekua on the Island of Hawaii.
- 3rd March » American Revolutionary War: The Continental Army is routed at the Battle of Brier Creek near Savannah, Georgia.
- 13th May » War of Bavarian Succession: Russian and French mediators at the Congress of Teschen negotiate an end to the war. In the agreement Austria receives the part of its territory that was taken from it (the Innviertel).
- 1st June » Benedict Arnold, a General Officer known as general in the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War, is court-martialed for malfeasance.
- 16th June » Spain declares war on the Kingdom of Great Britain, and the Great Siege of Gibraltar begins.
- 24th June » American Revolutionary War: The Great Siege of Gibraltar begins.
- 6th July » Battle of Grenada: The French defeat British naval forces during the American Revolutionary War.
- 16th July » American Revolutionary War: Light infantry of the Continental Army seize a fortified British Army position in a midnight bayonet attack at the Battle of Stony Point.
- 13th August » American Revolutionary War: The Royal Navy defeats the Penobscot Expedition with the most significant loss of United States naval forces prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor.
- 16th September » American Revolutionary War: The Franco-American Siege of Savannah begins.
- 23rd September » American Revolution: John Paul Jones on board the USS Bonhomme Richard 1765 6 wins the Battle of Flamborough Head.
- 28th September » American Revolution: Samuel Huntington (statesman) or Samuel Huntington is elected President of the Continental Congress, succeeding John Jay.
- 4th October » The James Wilson or Fort Wilson Riot takes place.
- 18th October » American Revolutionary War: The Franco-American Siege of Savannah is lifted.
Historical events for the year 1779 by month