What Happened In History Year 1780
Historical Events for the Year 1780
- 16th January » American Revolutionary War: Battle of Cape St. Vincent (1780) known as Battle of Cape St. Vincent.
- 14th March » American Revolutionary War: Spanish Empire Spanish forces Battle of Fort Charlotte capture Fort Conde Fort Charlotte in Mobile, Alabama, the last Kingdom of Great Britain British frontier post capable of threatening New Orleans in Spanish Louisiana.
- 16th April » The University of Münster in Münster, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany is founded.
- 12th May » American Revolutionary War: In the largest defeat of the Continental Army, Charleston, South Carolina Siege of Charleston e.g is taken by Kingdom of Great Britain or British forces.
- 13th May » The Cumberland Compact is signed by leaders of the settlers in early Tennessee.
- 29th May » American Revolutionary War: At the Battle of Waxhaws, the Kingdom of Great Britain or British continue attacking after the Continentals lay down their arms, killing 113 and critically wounding all but 53 that remained.
- 23rd June » American Revolution: Battle of Springfield (Revolutionary War) Battle of Springfield fought in and around Springfield Township, Union County, New Jersey Springfield, New Jersey (including Short Hills, formerly of Springfield, now of Millburn, New Jersey M
- 16th August » American Revolutionary War: Battle of Camden: The British defeat the Americans near Camden, South Carolina.
- 21st September » American Revolutionary War: Benedict Arnold gives the Kingdom of Great Britain e.g British the plans to West Point, New York e.g West Point.
- 2nd October » John André, British Army officer of the American Revolutionary War, is hanged as a spy by American forces.
- 7th October » American Revolutionary War Battle of Kings Mountain: United States American Patriot (American Revolution) Patriot militia defeat Loyalist (American Revolution) Loyalist irregular military irregulars led by British major Patrick Ferguson in South Carolina.
- 10th October » The Great Hurricane of 1780 kills 20,000–30,000 in the Caribbean.
- 16th October » Royalton, Vermont called Royalton, Vermont and Tunbridge, Vermont e.g Tunbridge, Vermont are the last major raids of the American Revolutionary War.
- 4th November » Jose Gabriel Condorcanqui aka Tupac Amaru starts his Rebellion of Túpac Amaru II e.g Rebellion on Peru against Spain-
- 5th November » French-American forces under Augustin de La Balme known as Colonel LaBalme are defeated by Miami Chief Little Turtle.
- 9th November » American Revolutionary War: In the Battle of Fishdam Ford a force of British and Loyalist troops fail in a surprise attack against the South Carolina Patriot militia under Brigadier General Thomas Sumter.
Historical events for the year 1780 by month