What Happened In History Year 1781
Historical Events for the Year 1781
- 5th January » American Revolutionary War: Richmond, Virginia, is burned by Kingdom of Great Britain or British naval forces led by Benedict Arnold.
- 6th January » In the Battle of Jersey, the Great Britain or British defeat the last attempt by France to invade Jersey.
- 17th January » American Revolutionary War: Battle of Cowpens Continental troops under Brigadier General Daniel Morgan defeat British forces under Lieutenant Colonel Banastre Tarleton at the battle in South Carolina.
- 3rd February » American Revolutionary War: Kingdom of Great Britain British forces Capture of Sint Eustatius seize the Dutch Republic Dutch-owned Caribbean island Sint Eustatius.
- 1st March » The Continental Congress adopts the Articles of Confederation.
- 13th March » William Herschel discovers Uranus.
- 15th March » American Revolutionary War: Battle of Guilford Courthouse Near present-day Greensboro, North Carolina called Greensboro, North Carolina, 1,900 United Kingdom or British troops under General Charles Cornwallis defeat an American force numbering 4,400.
- 29th April » American Revolutionary War: Kingdom of Great Britain or British and Kingdom of France e.g French ships clash in the Battle of Fort Royal off the coast of Martinique.
- 3rd June » Jack Jouett begins his midnight ride to warn Thomas Jefferson and the Virginia legislature of an impending raid by Banastre Tarleton.
- 5th August » The Battle of Dogger Bank (1781) named Battle of Dogger Bank takes place.
- 4th September » Los Angeles is founded as El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula (The Village of Our Lady, the Queen of the Angels of Porziuncola) by 44 Spanish settlers.
- 5th September » Battle of the Chesapeake in the American Revolutionary War: The British Navy is repelled by the French Navy, contributing to the Siege of Yorktown called British surrender at Yorktown.
- 6th September » The Battle of Groton Heights takes place, resulting in a Kingdom of Great Britain known as British victory.
- 28th September » American forces backed by a French fleet begin the siege of Yorktown, Virginia, during the American Revolutionary War.
- 16th October » George Washington captures Yorktown, Virginia called Yorktown, Virginia after the Siege of Yorktown.
- 17th October » American Revolutionary War: British General Charles Cornwallis, 1st Marquess Cornwallis or Lord Charles Cornwallis surrenders at the Siege of Yorktown.
- 20th October » Patent of Toleration, providing limited freedom of religion called freedom of worship, is approved in Habsburg Monarchy.
- 29th November » The crew of the British slave ship 'Zong Massacre named Zong' murders 133 Africans by dumping them into the sea to claim insurance.
- 12th December » American Revolutionary War: Second Battle of Ushant A British fleet led by HMS named Victory defeats a France or French fleet.
Historical events for the year 1781 by month