What Happened In History Year 1782
Historical Events for the Year 1782
- 7th January » The first American commercial bank, the Bank of North America, opens.
- 11th January » American Revolutionary War: French troops Siege of Brimstone Hill called begin a siege of a British garrison on Brimstone Hill in Saint Kitts.
- 15th January » Superintendent of Finance Robert Morris (financier) Robert Morris goes before the United States Congress U.S. Congress to recommend establishment of a national mint (coin) mint and decimal coinage.
- 5th February » Spain Spanish defeat United Kingdom British forces and Invasion of Minorca (1781) capture Minorca.
- 27th February » American Revolutionary War: The House of Commons of Great Britain votes against further war in America.
- 8th March » Gnadenhutten massacre Gnadenhütten massacre: Ninety-six Native Americans in the United States Native Americans in Gnadenhutten, Ohio Gnadenhutten, Ohio, who had converted to Christianity are killed by Pennsylvania militiamen in retaliation for raids carri
- 14th March » Battle of Wuchale: Emperor Tekle Giyorgis I of Ethiopia e.g Tekle Giyorgis pacifies a group of Oromo people known as Oromo near Wuchale.
- 16th March » American Revolutionary War: Spanish troops Battle of Roatán or capture the British-held island of Roatán.
- 27th March » Charles Watson-Wentworth, 2nd Marquess of Rockingham becomes Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- 6th April » King Buddha Yodfa Chulaloke (Rama I) of Siam (modern day Thailand) founded the Chakri dynasty.
- 9th April » American War of Independence: Battle of the Saintes begins.
- 21st April » The city of Rattanakosin, now known internationally as Bangkok, is History of Bangkok or founded on the eastern bank of the Chao Phraya River by King Buddha Yodfa Chulaloke.
- 6th May » Construction begins on the Grand Palace, the royal residence of the Monarchy of Thailand known as King of Siam in Bangkok, at the command of King Buddha Yodfa Chulaloke.
- 20th June » The Congress of the United States named U.S. Congress adopts the Great Seal of the United States.
- 1st July » Raid on Lunenburg, Nova Scotia (1782) e.g Raid on Lunenburg: American privateers attack the British settlement of Lunenburg, Nova Scotia.
- 7th August » George Washington orders the creation of the Badge of Military Merit to honor soldiers wounded in battle. It is later renamed to the more poetic Purple Heart.
- 19th August » American Revolutionary War: Battle of Blue Licks: The last major engagement of the war, almost ten months after the surrender of the British commander Charles Cornwallis, 1st Marquess Cornwallis named Charles Cornwallis following the Siege of Yorktown.
- 13th September » American Revolutionary War: Franco-Spanish troops launch the unsuccessful "grand assault" during the Great Siege of Gibraltar.
- 30th November » American Revolutionary War: Treaty of Paris (1783) called Treaty of Paris In Paris, representatives from the United States and the Kingdom of Great Britain sign preliminary peace articles (later formalized as the 1783 Treaty of Paris).
Historical events for the year 1782 by month