What Happened In May 1780 In History
Historical Events for May, 1780
- 12th » American Revolutionary War: In the largest defeat of the Continental Army, Charleston, South Carolina Siege of Charleston e.g is taken by Kingdom of Great Britain or British forces.
- 13th » The Cumberland Compact is signed by leaders of the settlers in early Tennessee.
- 29th » American Revolutionary War: At the Battle of Waxhaws, the Kingdom of Great Britain or British continue attacking after the Continentals lay down their arms, killing 113 and critically wounding all but 53 that remained.
Famous Birthdays on May in 1780
- 21st » Elizabeth Fry, English philanthropist and reformer (d. 1845)
- 29th » Henri Braconnot, French chemist and pharmacist (d. 1855)
Famous Deaths for May 1780
- 18th » Charles Hardy, English-American admiral and politician, 29th List of colonial governors of New York or Colonial Governor of New York (b. 1714)
Year 1780 events in history for the month of May
Historical events for the year 1780 by month