What Happened In History Year 1776
Historical Events for the Year 1776
- 1st January » American Revolutionary War: Norfolk, Virginia is Burning of Norfolk or burned by combined Royal Navy and Continental Army action.
- 10th January » Thomas Paine publishes his pamphlet 'Common Sense (pamphlet) called Common Sense'.
- 2nd March » American Revolutionary War: Patriot (American Revolution) Patriot militia units arrest the Royal Governor of Province of Georgia Georgia James Wright (governor) James Wright and attempt to prevent capture of supply ships in the Battle of the Rice Boats.
- 3rd March » American Revolutionary War: The first amphibious landing of the United States Marine Corps begins the Battle of Nassau.
- 4th March » American Revolutionary War: The Continental Army Fortification of Dorchester Heights e.g fortifies Dorchester Heights with cannon, leading the Kingdom of Great Britain known as British troops to abandon the Siege of Boston.
- 17th March » American Revolution: British forces Evacuation Day (Massachusetts) named evacuate Boston, ending the Siege of Boston, after George Washington and Henry Knox Fortification of Dorchester Heights or place artillery in positions overlooking the city.
- 28th March » Juan Bautista de Anza finds the site for the Presidio of San Francisco.
- 6th April » American Revolutionary War: Ships of the Continental Navy fail in their Battle of Block Island named attempt to capture a Royal Navy dispatch boat.
- 7th April » John Barry (naval officer) Captain John Barry and the USS Lexington 1776 6 captures the 'Edward'.
- 12th April » American Revolution: With the Halifax Resolves, the North Carolina Provincial Congress authorizes its Second Continental Congress known as Congressional delegation to vote for independence from Kingdom of Great Britain named Britain.
- 1st May » Establishment of the Illuminati in Ingolstadt (Upper Bavaria), by Jesuit-taught Adam Weishaupt.
- 4th May » Rhode Island becomes the first American colony to renounce allegiance to King George III.
- 15th May » American Revolution: the Virginia Convention instructs its Continental Congress delegation to propose a Lee Resolution known as resolution of independence from Great Britain, paving the way for the United States Declaration of Independence.
- 19th May » American Revolutionary War: A Continental Army garrison surrenders in the Battle of The Cedars.
- 7th June » Richard Henry Lee presents the "Lee Resolution" to the Continental Congress. The motion was seconded by John Adams and led to the United States Declaration of Independence.
- 8th June » American Revolutionary War: Battle of Trois-Rivières United States or American attackers are driven back at Trois-Rivières, Quebec.
- 11th June » The Continental Congress appoints Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Roger Sherman, and Robert R. Livingston (chancellor) named Robert R. Livingston to the Committee of Five to draft a United States Declaration of Independence named declarat
- 12th June » The Virginia Declaration of Rights is adopted.
- 15th June » Delaware Separation Day: Delaware votes to suspend government under the Kingdom of Great Britain e.g British Crown and separate officially from Pennsylvania.
- 28th June » Thomas Hickey (soldier) named Thomas Hickey, Continental Army private and bodyguard to General George Washington, is hanged for mutiny and sedition.
- 29th June » First privateer battle of the American Revolutionary War fought at Battle of Turtle Gut Inlet known as Turtle Gut Inlet near Cape May, New Jersey
- 29th June » Father Francisco Palou founds Mission San Francisco de Asis in what is now San Francisco, California.
- 2nd July » The Second Continental Congress Continental Congress adopts a Lee Resolution resolution severing ties with the Kingdom of Great Britain although the wording of the formal United States Declaration of Independence Declaration of Independence is not approve
- 4th July » American Revolution: The United States Declaration of Independence is adopted by the Second Continental Congress. Image:Declaration independence.jpg thumb 200px The United States Declaration of Independence United States declared its independence in 1776.
- 9th July » George Washington orders the United States Declaration of Independence or Declaration of Independence to be read out loud to members of the Continental Army in New York City e.g New York, New York, for the first time.
- 12th July » Captain James Cook begins his Third voyage of James Cook or third voyage.
- 2nd August » The signing of the United States Declaration of Independence took place.
- 10th August » American Revolutionary War: word of the United States Declaration of Independence reaches London.
- 27th August » Battle of Long Island: In what is now Brooklyn, New York, British forces under General William Howe, 5th Viscount Howe called William Howe defeat Americans under General George Washington.
- 9th September » The Continental Congress officially names its new Political union known as union of sovereignty or sovereign states the United States.
- 10th September » American Revolutionary War: Nathan Hale volunteers to spy for the Continental Army.
- 11th September » British–American Staten Island Peace Conference known as peace conference on Staten Island fails to stop nascent American Revolutionary War.
- 16th September » American Revolutionary War: The Battle of Harlem Heights is fought.
- 17th September » The Presidio of San Francisco is founded in New Spain.
- 21st September » Part of New York City is Great Fire of New York (1776) or burned shortly after being occupied by British forces.
- 22nd September » Nathan Hale is hanged for spying during American Revolution.
- 7th October » Crown Prince Paul of Russia marries Sophie Marie Dorothea of Württemberg.
- 11th October » American Revolutionary War: Battle of Valcour Island On Lake Champlain a fleet of United States or American boats is defeated by the Royal Navy, but delays the British advance until 1777.
- 26th October » Benjamin Franklin departs from America for France on a mission to seek French support for the American Revolution.
- 28th October » American Revolutionary War: Battle of White Plains British Army forces arrive at White Plains, New York named White Plains, attack and capture Chatterton Hill from the Continental Army known as Americans.
- 16th November » American Revolutionary War: British and Hessian (soldiers) Hessian units Battle of Fort Washington capture Fort Washington (New York) Fort Washington from the Patriots.
- 16th November » American Revolution: The Dutch Republic or United Provinces (Low Countries) recognize the independence of the United States.
- 20th November » American Revolutionary War: British forces land at The Palisades (Hudson River) named the Palisades and then attack Battle of Fort Lee known as Fort Lee. The Continental Army starts to retreat across New Jersey.
- 29th November » American Revolutionary War: The Battle of Fort Cumberland, Nova Scotia, comes to an end with the arrival of British reinforcements.
- 7th December » Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette, arranges to enter the United States or American military as a major general.
- 19th December » Thomas Paine publishes one of a series of pamphlets in 'The Pennsylvania Journal' entitled "The American Crisis".
- 26th December » American Revolutionary War: In the Battle of Trenton, the Continental Army attacks and successfully defeats a garrison of Hessian (soldiers) named Hessian Mercenary e.g mercenaries.
Historical events for the year 1776 by month