What Happened On 27th August 1776 In History
August 27th (1776) was a Tuesday. It's the 239th day of the year (240th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 126 days left to the end of the year.
Historical Events for 27th August, 1776
- » Battle of Long Island: In what is now Brooklyn, New York, British forces under General William Howe, 5th Viscount Howe called William Howe defeat Americans under General George Washington.
August 27th Holidays in History
- » Christian Calendar of saints or feast day:
- » Baculus of Sorrento
- » Caesarius of Arles
- » Margaret the Barefooted
- » Saint Monica known as Saint Monica of Hippo, mother of Augustine of Hippo
- » Saint Phanourios named Phanourios of Rhodes
- » Rufus and Carpophorus
- » Thomas Gallaudet and Henry Winter Syle (Episcopal Church (USA))
- » August 27 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- » Independence Day, celebrates the independence of Moldova from the USSR in 1991.
- » Lyndon Baines Johnson Day (Texas)
Year 1776 historical events for the month of August