What Happened In September 1776 In History
Historical Events for September, 1776
- 9th » The Continental Congress officially names its new Political union known as union of sovereignty or sovereign states the United States.
- 10th » American Revolutionary War: Nathan Hale volunteers to spy for the Continental Army.
- 11th » British–American Staten Island Peace Conference known as peace conference on Staten Island fails to stop nascent American Revolutionary War.
- 16th » American Revolutionary War: The Battle of Harlem Heights is fought.
- 17th » The Presidio of San Francisco is founded in New Spain.
- 21st » Part of New York City is Great Fire of New York (1776) or burned shortly after being occupied by British forces.
- 22nd » Nathan Hale is hanged for spying during American Revolution.
Famous Birthdays on September in 1776
- 4th » Stephen Whitney, American businessman (d. 1860)
Famous Deaths for September 1776
- 22nd » Nathan Hale, American soldier (b. 1755)
Year 1776 events in history for the month of September
Historical events for the year 1776 by month